Which wood for smoking?

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I'm thinking about making a smoker to do jerky and stuff but was just wondering what kind of wood I should use to provide the smoke? I know that different woods can impart different flavours. What do you use? Waht is your favourite?
Heath

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Hi Heath
I use oak sawdust when i smoke,But you can use any fruit wood,it depends on your smoker,you can use sawdust ,chip/shavings or green logs,youd be better of googleing to find out more.
Hope it helps

Bernie

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Hi heath
forgot to say there are two types of smoking hot and cold,hot is for eating straight away,cold is for preserving,you can make a good smoker out of plywood,just make and oblong box,like a single wardrobe,with a small chimney,a small gas burner and an old frying pan in the bottom to fill with sawdust,that will hot smoke,for cold smoking,make another smaller box and connect to the larger box with a 6in metal pipe 4ft long and put the burner and frying pan in the little box.hope it helps

bernie

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
I'm very lucky that i managed to get a couple of old whisky casks which i use a electric planer to make the shavings. Gives a very nice flavour and it was free. Any good fishing shop will do a bag of shavings for a few quid and many do them with different flavours.

My mate swears by a thimble of port on the shavings then leave to dry before smoking, never tried it myself though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE