Which watch ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Hmm. Buying a genuine soviet watch can be tricky - the market is flooded with chinese copies. Don't buy anything off ebay, it's not worth.

How much do you want to spend, and what do you want to buy? I go to Russia frequently and if there's an opportunity can scout around and perhaps pick something up for you.

In order to copy them they must surely have the same machines as the soviet watches as the soviets are very easy to identify.
Soviet watches are so cheap I can't see there being much of a market for copies of the usual ones, perhaps with Poljot as they command a higher price.

If its a problem you could just look on HERE.

Oh and don't touch anything that you cant see the movement on, you should be able to find pictures of that type of movement on the net.

THIS used to be a huge resource of pictures of watch movements but when checked it just now all the hyperlinks to the pictures take you to a section thats says "The content of this page is unavaliable".

I don't know if that situation is a permanent one or not and I kind of wish I had copied off the pages when I had the chance.
<Edit> It seems that those pages are being reviewed and should be back up at some point in the future.

forestwalker

My old faithfull Casio (early 90's model) is dead, for the silliest of reasons. The bezel ring is held in place by 8 tiny screws, and yeasterday I noteiced that only two of them remained. And the local clock replair place claims they are probably made of unobtainium, and even if so it would cost me almost UKP80 or so to get it sorted. Apart from that it works fine, of course.

Looking for replacement I saw these:

http://www.mwcwatches.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=93
and
http://www.mwcwatches.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=97
and
http://www.mwcwatches.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=92

I spend quite a bit of time messing about in canoes, so actual waterproofness is justified, thus the "divers" style. Anyone with insight?

Last edited:

ubermeister

Jun 17, 2007
Nottingham
I have a Casio WaveCeptor radio controlled solar powered watch my dad gave me a couple of years ago, and an original old Animal watch which I've had for many years. Santa's bringing me a Nite MX10 this year, wanted one for quite some time now.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
I have a Casio that has both an analogue and a digital readout. I like it because it's solar powered, and because it keeps perfect time by connecting to the atomic clock in, I think, Rugby and constantly updating itself. The only drawback is the thick rubberized strap which has slowly worn away my wrist bone over the past few years!

Will Bowden

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2009
Exmoor
www.MuddyRedLandRover.co.uk
I just use the phone day to day.

For best I use this:
AdaohWLCEAAu1RD.jpg:large

I find my bodyclock is pretty accurate. Not much of my life is governed by time so I just plod on blissfully unaware of what the time is.

Will :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
My watch is a Seiko kinetic. I lost my dad 4 years ago and my mum said he'd expressed a wish to buy me a pen to remember him by. Now ive lost lots of pens over the years so suggested to my mum that it was a crap idea and a watch would be a far better idea. she asked me to go and choose one. I chose the kinetic but she said it was over budget so me and dad went halves on it. so four years on its still going strong and unlike the draw full of stopped watches next to my bed, never needs me to change the battery. I particularly like the way if you dont wear it for a few days it stops but when you shake it, it remembers the time and the hands fly round till it catches up. the only criticism would be the lack of luminous hands so its crap at night. keeps time fantastically well though. it has a few nicks and dinks but i dont worry about having to take it off when out and about.

This is my first post so i guess i better get over to the 'say hello area'

Cheers
Paul

72e030be.jpg

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I picked up a g shock at a boot fair 2 years ago and its taken some hefty beatings and it still going strong, i used to go through atleast two a year!

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
I've got a Suunto Core. Has an altimiter (used rarely in flat Estonia), barometer (very useful), compass, sunrise-sunset times (again very useful) and a bunch of other smaller features. Love it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE