Which walk with a toddler (lakes) ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hi folks,

this just in, a request from SWMBO ;) :

Where can we find a fine walk in the Lake District that is suitable for my lad, a 15 months old toddler who doesn't want to be in the pram but running around and see and touch new things, he can walk by himself for about an hour, and we'll take a baby carrier as well...

Planning on going tomorrow or Sunday, weather permitting...

I've got all the OS OL maps, so feel free to shoot your grid refs :D

We're based in Lancaster, so South Lakes would be better (shorter drive).

Cheers for any suggestions :You_Rock_

Mike

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
If you go up to Keswick, a favourite with Li'l Cumbrian ( and his parents ) was a boat trip on the launch to Hawse End jetty, then walk south along the western shore of Derwentwater as far as his legs could carry him. There are jetties at convenient places along the lakeshore, and the path is very well graded. For the adults, it's a lovely lakeshore walk through pleasant native woods with great views. If you make it as far as the Borrowdale road, head south for a couple of hundred metres to the cafe below Shepherd's Crag. I recommend the carrot cake. You then have the option of catching the Borrowdale bus back to Keswick, or walking north to the Lodore Hotel jetty and catching the launch.

Cheers, Michael.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would recommend Tarn Hows. NY 330 000 between Coniston and Ambleside. Not as Southern Lakes as possible, but not too far north either. Its pretty, has interesting shore line and little hills, lots of paths to take around the tarn and up into neighboring woods, and has road access.

I too thought of the Derwent lake shore although I haven't ever used the bus or the boat.

Grizedale Forest has some interesting walks, plus a visitor centre.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
thanks for your suggestions :You_Rock_

we decided to try Tarn Hows today. Will report back later :D

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE