Which ventile with pockets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
Sorry, another ventile question.

I own an Arktis flecktarn smock with a non-Gortex breathable membrane. While this jacket is just the right one for me - it has lots of pockets (6 outer of which 4 are bellowed and 2 inner) which are very useful - the membrane has gone and leaks around the shoulders and one or two other places (and almost certainly along the edge of the hood and via the 'collar' above the zipper). In short I need a replacement.

While I'm attracted to Gortex lined jackets, e.g., the Swazi Tahr, I think I'll err on a longer lasting ventile jacket in olive green (or maybe flecktarn - the germans knew something about camouflage!) and has a similar arrangement or number of pockets.

I've had a look around and notice that Snowsled do the Wilderness and Osprey, the latter seemingly more to my taste. I've heard good things about the Wilderness but haven't read anything about the Osprey.

Can anyone tell me if the Osprey is any good? And can anyone suggest any other jackets (essentially similar to the Arktis in layout but with a better collar or inner collar) that can provide excellent waterproofing, ample pockets and come in olive green (or flecktarn)?

Many thanks for your patience and help.

Scrubcutter

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Scrubcutter,

A few of us have a Ventile SAS smock in olive made by SASS, has lower bellows pockets as well. If you give them a call I think you can get the smock customized to your requirements, I've been using SASS kit for about 18 years now and have never had any complaints and I'm very pleased with my Ventile one mate, hope that helps a bit,

Brian

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Another vote for the SAS smock in ventile from SASS.
Cracking jacket at a very good price (£130 for the basic jacket).
The jacket is in L24 Ventile which is quite light weight.
The hood and the shoulders are double lined so basically waterproof, the rest of the jacket single so water will seep through during heavy rain.
Loads of pockets.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one should the need arise.
Although I would probably get it made up in two layer.
Hope this helps

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
Thanks Chris and Brian,

I checked out the SASSkit.co.uk site but couldn't find any ventile jackets (all seemingly of different fabric and only water repellant), but the design is exactly what I'm looking for with the added bonus of customising them. I've sent an e-mail to them to find out if ventile smocks are still available assuming I haven't be blind enough to overlook them on their site.

Cheers,
Steve

PS. I found out the Snowsled Osprey, which looks interesting, costs between £300 and £350 which is pushing it a bit but it does suggest it's a quality product.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE