Which Ventile Jacket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

I appear to have been afflicted with ventilism. I’d appreciate comments and suggestions on a ventile jacket. This is for day to day wear in cooler weather as well as general country/bushy activities. I have no interest in slogging up hills to admire the fog, trying to stay upright in horizontal gale force rain, or going on multi-week treks in the vast uncharted Scottish wilderness. More of a general purpose field jacket that I’ll probably wear whenever it’s too cold for my Rohan field vest.

My criteria/questions…

• Double ventile – no partial double layer bits, and definitely no synthetic membranes/liners.
  • Must be the correct colour (olive green) with no daft colour flashes or ‘contrast trim’.
  • I tend not to use hoods, but recognise their value when it’s tipping down – better with something that rolls up, or a detachable one? If detachable, what method of fixing - zip, poppers, buttons?
  • Pockets – the jackets I’m looking at have bellows bottom pockets, but the top pockets vary between patch pockets and hand warmers. Really not sure here – my experience of ex-army jackets is that I like top patch pockets, but experience of waxed cotton jackets is that I like hand warmers for mooching about. I guess I want a jacket that does both.
  • Cuffs – poppers or Velcro tabs?
  • Would be good if it can be used with a rucksack hip belt (eg, Sabre 45) and still have access to the lower pockets. Is that hoping for too much?

Jackets I currently have my eye on…

Country Innovation Rover
http://www.countryinnovation.com/ventile/rover-jacket.html

Snugpak Tempest
http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/clothing/ventile/tempest-jacket

Hilltrek Braeriach
http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/New-Braeriach-Jacket.html

Snowsled Osprey
http://www.snowsled.com/outdoor-clothing/ventile-clothing/osprey-jacket/

The Snugpak is quite a bit cheaper than the others at £260 compared to £325-350. Why would that be?

Any general comments on the quality, performance and features of these jackets? Any first-hand experience? Any other jackets worth considering given the above? Anything regarding features that I’ve missed out that would be worth considering?

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Honestly, I would have a chat with Ian (bilmo-p5) and get look at getting something done that is exactly what you require.

Louis

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Do you have a huge budget surplus? If so you are lucky, because Klättermusen Rimfaxe might be a candidate:
1018_rimfaxe_mossgreen_31.png

At a mere €551 it's a real bargain. But it is made from eta-proof (which is a identical to ventile, even made with a license from ventile).

At €451, the klättermusen Einride is a bit cheaper:
1043_einride2_charcoal_6.png

I realise that this is probably not what you're looking for. Just wanted to show that there are more technical cut ventile-esque jackets out there.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Nomad,
i have a Country innovation rover and an older hill trek cairngorm.
The Rover is a superb jacket, nicely fitting, good features and seems to be very well made. my only couple of grips are, 1, the hand warmer pockets have no flap so can get pretty soggy in wet weather, 2, the weather here is too hot in the summer to wear it :(.
The detachable hood is a great fit, the bellows pockets have plenty of room and seal well. i have worn it in some pretty heavy weather and, aside from the damp hand warmer pockets, have been bone dry.
The Hill trek is getting on a bit now and has seen a fair bit of abuse (it's only single layer, so more of a comparison of manufactuers). i have found the quality, though good, is not a patch on the rover. Also the cut was a bit slimmer so not as good for extra clothes in the winter. i don't know if they still the off-set zip around the chin, but i never got on with it. Also i had waterproof zips and no storm flap, not ideal.
Saying that, the jacket has seen a lot of abuse over the years and still keeps out the worst of the weather.
Hope the above helps
Baggins

N

Nomad

Thanks All.

Methinks 550EUR is a bit past the budget. Kind of going off the detachable hood idea from Country Innovation. So far, the Snugpak looks pretty good, as does the Snowsled Osprey, although I would like to see better pictures of that and some decent sizing info. I'll give it some thought (not in a rush - it's hardly the weather for this sort of thing).

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Helpful thread as I did not realise Snugpack were into ventile kit. Even better that they are offering a further option by way of the new "Antarctic Smock Jacket" and at a little less that £200.

Guess I should also use this opportunity say its great to be back on a site where only one Level of competency matters! Namely a demonstrable passion for the great outdoors.

Now may I have the facility to PM re-instated please Tony?

Cheers

K

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Helpful thread as I did not realise Snugpack were into ventile kit. Even better that they are offering a further option by way of the new "Antarctic Smock Jacket" and at a little less that £200.

Guess I should also use this opportunity say its great to be back on a site where only one Level of competency matters! Namely a demonstrable passion for the great outdoors.

Cheers

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE