Which travel thermos?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
I'd recommend a stanley when it comes to a flask , iv had loads of different kind thermos was always a let down with leaking and not holding a temperature over a full day . The stanley tastes like a fresh brew even if its been in a rucksack for 8 hours ! and it doesnt leak .
images

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Thermos Ultralite is apparently the one to go for if you can find it, keeps stuff hot for 24hrs alledgedly.

Ray used to sell them on his site but I don't think he stocks them anymore.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
The Lifeventure mugs have a pretty good reputation & have been good for me. They keep drinks warm for longer & dont leak, but I am no expert

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
My mate uses a lifeventure mug and swears buy it, I have been through loads of flasks and found one robust enough, as above its a stanley alladin, very well built and will last a good while, however they are heavy by comparision, if your looking for something lightweight you will need to be aware its only gonna last a few years of use before it needs replacing.

I dont know what it is about flasks but they seem to get dented then bashed and end up in a very sorry state quite quickly.

Anyways here is mine

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aladdin-Sta...earchContext=B000FZX93K,B001EN476U,B00264MDSK

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Without doubt the best you can buy is a Thermax from the Thermos range. I admit to being a bit of a flask head (thermos that is) and these are by far and away the best.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
The Thermos Ultralite is apparently the one to go for if you can find it, keeps stuff hot for 24hrs alledgedly.

Ray used to sell them on his site but I don't think he stocks them anymore.
I bought a couple from the RM site and they do what it says on the tin. They will keep water hot enough for a cup of tea after 24hrs. Certainly the one to go for IMHOgoodjob

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I'd recommend a stanley when it comes to a flask , iv had loads of different kind thermos was always a let down with leaking and not holding a temperature over a full day . The stanley tastes like a fresh brew even if its been in a rucksack for 8 hours ! and it doesnt leak .
images

Another satisfied (25years!) customer.

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
Hey guys thanks so much for the input, I am going to look into the suggestions and weight things up. The problem will inevitably be weight vs comfort. I am looking to make it part of my kit that I will use for up to a week and most probably wont want to be lugging around anything larger than 1 litre, also space issues. Most probably looking for a 0.5 litre option. That way I can just make a brew in the am and then at night and use the thermos in-between.

Cheers again!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hey guys thanks so much for the input, I am going to look into the suggestions and weight things up. The problem will inevitably be weight vs comfort. I am looking to make it part of my kit that I will use for up to a week and most probably wont want to be lugging around anything larger than 1 litre, also space issues. Most probably looking for a 0.5 litre option. That way I can just make a brew in the am and then at night and use the thermos in-between.

Cheers again!

Go with a wide mouth flask so you can carry hot food such as stew. .5 litre is small, .75 is that much better IMHO. I tried the BCB flasks (painted tactical black of course) and to be honest they are crap, only good for a couple of hours even if I heated the flask with boiling water before filling. The Stanley range are pretty good, Thermax are better. Best of the lot I have is an early 1950's glass lined wide next Thermos with cork stopper, fabulous kit but too fragile for camping. I've a 1930 one gallon American Made ceramic insulated flask which is a wonder to use but weight is about 4Kg before filling it:yikes:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE