Which surplus sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Hey all

I'm after a sleeping bag on a budget and am going to go for either a down filled 58 pattern bag or the arctic down filled bag- which would be the better choice? Each would cope with most uk weather well enough i think

Cheers guys

Joab

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Joab,
the 58's are starting to get a bit long in the tooth now, for the warmth you get, the weight and pack size is pretty big compared with modern equivalents. I have one of the arctic bags though and, although it weighs a ton and you need a truck to transport it, it is very warm and comfortable.
As with all bags, it really does depend on your intended usage, lightweight backpacking in the summer or car camping in November?
Just my view.

Cheers
Baggins

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Down filled are actualy feather filled. The difference means they lose their filling over time as the spikey feathers push through the fabric and come out. A good one is a good one ie still has a full load of feathers, and will be good enough for British winters, but be aware they stopped making them back in nineteen canteen when Centurian was a rank not a tank. The chances of finding a good one are slim I'd say. I'd have to see one in the flesh before buying it. Even then it would be 30-40 years old and rolled up on a shelf that long.

Synthetic....Make sure it has 'Arctic' on the label. Some don't. Big and heavy but luxury build quality. Washing synthetic bags will ruin them over time so I'd only buy a new one. If it's been washed x amount off times you'll freeze below zero. My first used bag was junk and I then bought a brand new one, unissued straight from the factory for £30 on ebay. It's a belter.

rg598

Native
I would be very careful going for mil surplus sleeping bag. Most are not stored properly or cared for, and the result is that you get very poor quality. Also, there are some very cheap commercially available bags which even though bulky and heavy by modern standards, are probably lighter and smaller than mil surplus bags. The North Face Cat's Meow 20F (-7C) sleeping bag goes for about $170 (US), and it's a great synthetic bag that will get you through almost everything in the UK. This is just one example. I'm sure you can find cheaper mil surplus sleeping bags, but six months from now you will be spending the money again on another bag.

Last edited:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Cheers guys, as always excellent advice. I'm not too worried about weight, i was looking for something to use over a longer period in a fixed camp, probably during less forgiving weather- the arctic looked to fit the bill and budget. I think I'll keep looking for the synthetic- see if i can pick one up on evilbay. Do the compression sacks double up as a bivvy bag?...heard it mentioned somewhere.

Cheers guys

Joab

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
What is your budget, if it can go up to £100 look at the US modular sleep system, you get a goretex bivvy bag, a winter bag and a summer bag, both of which can be attached to the bivvy or used on their own or combined to make a bag suitable down to -50*c. I have it and found the summer bag good up until early October, then I switched to the winter one.

Widgy grub

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Hi
I have the u/s modular sleep system.... Heavy as hell but very well made,
As this is a side zipped system can be awkward in a hammock , but I would recommend it for all season use and the bivvy is awesome.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Try ebay for a Carinthia Defence 4 - latest issue, warm, compressible, and won't have been around too long to get too battered. The 'face hole' (rather than a hood) takes some getting used to though. 180cm version (short) or a 200cm version (long).

Dan J

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Ludlow
I've got an arctic down bag. its pretty old and i've never been able get rid of the slightly musty smell but its really warm. always been very happy with it.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Try ebay for a Carinthia Defence 4 - latest issue, warm, compressible, and won't have been around too long to get too battered. The 'face hole' (rather than a hood) takes some getting used to though. 180cm version (short) or a 200cm version (long).

absolute bargain here- new at £60+£8 postage http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-N...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item19e8842a9f

This will be the extreme weather bag from the Modular sleeping system - a Carinthia Defence 4, but manufactured (usually) by BCB.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
+ 1 for the Carinthia defence 4 as mentioned they can usually be found on ebay. I never got on with the 58 bag, the filling always compressed down to nothing leaving coldspots, mine was forever leaking what looked like chicken feathers to me and the pointy ends always found a way to jab me in the face. And a surplus one will probably be really stinky by now.

Snugpak do pretty decent bags too if you wanted a new one.

cockney greg

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2014
London E17
I did have a look at those but i'm not too sure how used they are. Its difficult to judge by looking at them how much down they may have lost- any tips for checking?

Cheers guys, joab

Best bet is to contact the seller. Look for one with good feedback.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Only thing I can think of is ask him to weigh it and find out the weight of a new one. Or call him and trust your gut which is what I'd do. It's the arctic bag so if it's lost enough feathers to be as good as a A1 fully loaded 58 bag it'll be a great bag at the price.

Actually that bag pictured looks like a synthetic bag to me. Maybe the seller just posted the wrong pic or maybe he's getting his bags mixed up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE