which sleeping mat

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
been using my closed cell foam sleeping mat for a few years now and thought its about time i upgraded to one of them thermarest type mats
size is a issue of corse would like it to roll up small but be big when open and warm

so what do you use and which brand would you recommend
ps am not wanting to spend daft cash but will stretch for the best buy

cheers

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a therm-a-rest basecamp XL and it's the daddy for comfort - good luck rolling it up small though.

for hammock or summer use, I have a therm-a-rest trail 3 which does roll up small, is still comfy(ish) and warm(ish).

if it's very cold and you need a small pack, I'd stick with the foam.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I also use a 3 season thermarest , which I can honestly say is brill :) I have used it in every weather condition imaginable inside my bivi bag and it has never failed to give me a good nights kip . One thing though when you get home dont store it rolled up , if they are at all damp they tend to start to smell a bit .

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Get a therma rest xl prolite, lightest yet. There is a chap off ebay who ships them from the states for £53, with free shipping! i'd take advantage of the cheap dollar. It thermarest top line model and i've seen them for £80 in the UK. Weighs nothing, and packs small!

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
I've heard a lot of good things about the Alpkit mats and will be getting mine this week.

For the money they look unbeatable :D

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I've got one of the basic thermarests which is great, but I think if I was planning on hiking with it regularly I'd be looking for one that folds in half lengthways before rolling up (I assume they still make them?) - I think it would be much more packable.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Carry both.

Get a multimat foam mat and the lightest, smallest 3/4 size that thermarest do - the prolite 3/4 I think. The small thermarest packs up tiny - on it's own, it's not really enough, but on top of a foam mat it's warm and super comfy. The foam mat also acts as a base, stopping the delicate thermarest from getting punctured. Even if you do get a puncture, you still have the foam mat to kip on.

Multimat Expedition Cost £17.99

Size: 1850 x 575 x 12mm.
Weight: 280g.
Rolled: 575 x 190mm.
Tog value: 3.36

Thermarest Prolite 3/4 Cost £44.80

Inflated Size: 1190 x 510 x 40mm
Weight: 482g
Rolled: 280 x 100mm
R-Value 3.2

Reactions: TheGreenMan

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
cheers guys i think am gonna go for the highlander compact
cheers again for all your info

mrstorey

Forager
In my experience, cheap inflatable sleeping mats are as hard as old cheese. My mate had a non-Thermarest mat and he ended up giving it away because it was rock-hard. I guess it depends what you want it for - if it's just to keep you insulated from the ground, fair enough, but if comfort is a factor, don't skimp. It's dead money.

That said, I really rate Alpkit's stuff. I've not seen an Airic sleeping mat in the flesh, but all their other stuff has been exceptionally well-made, as well as good value for money, so I'd expect nothing less from their range of sleeping mats.

mrstorey

Forager
I semi-deflate mine, fold it in half widthwards and lengthways (ie quarter-sized) then insert it into my rucksack, valve upwards. I then fill up the rucksack, then let the valve open. It provides a bit of extra padding for my back, and also seems to allow me to pack a lot more into the sack than when I roll it up into a cylinder. It also pops up much quicker in the evening than if it's been squashed flat all day, which is much better for it, and also means you don't have to breathe as much air into it (which is bad for it, apparently, due to the moisture in your breath making the inside go mildew-y in the end).

Big John said:
I've got one of the basic thermarests which is great, but I think if I was planning on hiking with it regularly I'd be looking for one that folds in half lengthways before rolling up (I assume they still make them?) - I think it would be much more packable.

Reactions: TheGreenMan

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I've had an alpkit airic mat for a year or so now and it has been great, untill i slept out in a sweet chestnut wood in november, and my airic was no longer, i put it in the bath and it looked like a couple of hedgehogs had been break dancing on it! :lmao:
Just ordered an airic slim today and the other one will be resigned to hammock use.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
mrstorey- thats a great idea!

"I semi-deflate mine, fold it in half widthwards and lengthways (ie quarter-sized) then insert it into my rucksack, valve upwards. I then fill up the rucksack, then let the valve open. It provides a bit of extra padding for my back, and also seems to allow me to pack a lot more into the sack than when I roll it up into a cylinder. It also pops up much quicker in the evening than if it's been squashed flat all day"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE