Which Saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
While out playing in the woods I thought it might be a good Idea to give my opinions on the saws that I use :)

P4210087.jpg

Top To Bottom Closed
Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw
TRT Pruning Saw 330mm
Bacho Laplander Saw

P4210088.jpg

Top To Bottom Open
TRT Pruning Saw 330mm
Bacho Laplander Saw

P4210086.jpg

One of the many cutting tests ive done :rolleyes:
Cutting Seasoned Birch for fire wood :D
The Bahco Laplander took around 60 seconds .
TRT Pruning Saw 330mm took around 25 seconds
Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw only took 20 seconds

Pros
Takes standard bow saw blades
Good Length of cut
Fast to assemble and disassemble
No part of the blade is exposed when packed
Light weight
Simple design less to brake

Cons
It costs around £35 not cheap
Comes with a Peg and Raker Blade (easy to change for a peg tooth blade )

TRT Pruning Saw 330mm
Pros
Cheap £14.28
No moving parts to fail
Good length of cut
Fast to use
Good grip
Easy to find if you lay it down
Hell of a lot cheaper than a Silky saw

Cons
Some people might be put of by the Colour
Belt clip on the sheath could be better ( I put a leather one on )
Thin blade care needs to be taken when getting used to it, only cuts on the pull stroke
Probably wont last as long as a Silky saw

Bacho Laplander Saw
Pros
Tough
Hard wearing
Reliable
Small pack size

Cons
Easy to miss place
Take a while to cut thicker branches
Short length of cut

Ive used the saws on many different occasions cutting lot of different woods from hardwood to soft wood both green and seasoned.
And I would say that they all have there place but would recommend them for the following.

Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw a well worthy addition to take along on overnight trips or longer gives you access to larger fire wood :D

TRT Pruning Saw 330mm
A great saw on a budget works well and cuts fast what I used before I got my Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw. Mine still shows no sign off wear and still gets used excellent saw for wrist size wood and bigger.

Bacho Laplander Saw
Best saw for taking when out for a walk for lighter cutting

That's my first attempt a a review so please be gentle on me :eek:

http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/d...ilterb=Duluth Duluth Folding Saw&filterc=4789

TRT Pruning Saws
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-TRT-Pruning-Saws-481012.htm

Bahco Lapplander Saw
http://www.workshopheaven.com/eStor...AW&cat=Bahco+Saws&catstr=HOME:Saws:Bahco+Saws

Gailainne

Life Member
Interestingly, Ive been looking at a more substantial saw to add to my kit, a buck saw type, I have a couple of Silkys, the 170 and the 300. I was drawn to the Sven saw, comes in either 15" or 21" but it doesnt look like you can get them in the UK, unless someone knows better ?.

The Bob Dustrude looks like a good bit of kit, I'll check out the web site, cheers mate.

BTW Not bad for a first review, not bad at all. :D

Regards

Stephen

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife

Ive just had a look at the Sven saw online I'm not a big fan of triangular saws they limit the thickness of the wood you can cut to much :eek:

cheers Russ :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good review and excellent to see commonplace, easy to buy tools listed too. :approve:

I think I might acquire one of those TRT ones for slightly bigger stuff, or more intense use, than my Bahco handles. I've got a couple of bowsaws if I need anything any bigger than that.

Thanks for posting.

atb,
M

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I do not have the TRT but do have both the Quick Buck Saw and the Laplander and I agree completely with Russell. The quick buck saw is definitely the choice for an overnight camp and the Laplander a superb saw for the size.

All I need to do is get round to making the canvas slip case for the Buck Saw. I better make one for Russell at the same time as I have been promising it for ages :rolleyes:

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Hi :)

I just thought id post a little update :D
Ive been using my TRT Pruning Saw 330mm A Lot recently on a mixture of seasoned and green Birch and masses of Alder I'm amazed to say that the blades still incredibly sharp and its still cutting very well Ive even cut seasoned ash 8inch diameter with it to .I'm surprised at just how well the saw cuts Its certainly a good option for getting the fire wood in :D It does take a little getting used to only cutting on the pull stroke though.

When it eventually wears out i,ll definitely be buying another one and it doesnt look like its going to wear out anytime soon :D

Cheers Russ

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Thanks for the info Warthog,

Can I be boring and ask:

1. How long is the folding buck saw when folded down?
2. How much does it weigh?

Cheers

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Certainly sir

1. How long is the folding buck saw when folded down? just under 25 inches
2. How much does it weigh? 477 grams

no worries Russ

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Am I the only one who finds that the Laplander bends very easily ? I've got two and bent both of them. You can always straighten them out but it's a nuisance. On the other hand my little Opinel saw is really tough and I never have a problem with it

pwb

Great review. I like the look of the TRT :cool: .
I've been using a Bahco saw very like it and find the extra length makes short work of certain tasks, like cutting fire wood.

DSC00616.jpg

Might have a go a making a buck saw.. someday :) .

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Been using the Bob Dustrude saw for a while now in fixed camps, works a treat, well worth every penny of the £35.00 asking price, every day saw is the faithful laplander

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
I have the large opinel saw. It cuts super quickly as it's a pull saw and therefore is allowed a thinner blade (never worried about it snapping for this reason, it flexes loads if you try to bend it but it's hard to break). I got mine new around the time my friend got the Laplander and it deifnately seemed faster with green wood, probably because it's a pruning saw and has larger teeth.

not cheap though, new blades you have to shell out for and are not easily available online. The teeth probably aren't as hard as the Lap either.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
A couple of things to remember about the Laplander:

1. There are 3 different blades available (if you can find them). The default greenwood blade isn't the best for cutting seasoned hardwood.
2. You can also get it in orange, which is much easier to find again if you put it down. Mine also has a bright pink lanyard for extra visibility...

UCBerzerkeley

Dec 11, 2008
California
Little bump to this thread with a new addition -

Over the holiday, I picked up a take down buck saw by Trail Blazer (18" and NOT the sawvivor, which I think looks cumbersome and delicate). Here it is

85245031take-down-buck-saw.jpg

I am not an expert sawyer, but I can manage a 4-8 inch log quickly enough with this saw. It is VERY sturdy, as in very. The tube is also ingenious -- quite packable, store two blades, ~19" long (48cm), 1lbs (~500g), seems indestructible. The wing nut can not get lost, its secured to the tension rod

Old Jimbo has himself a quite favorable review as well: http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/saw.html

Cutlery science has the old 24", which now has a metal wing nut lock, not the plastic one in the review: http://cutleryscience.com/reviews/trailblazer.html

If anyone is interested in the make or model, I can figure that stuff out, don't recall off the top of my head but Trail Blazer has a website. Also, if anyone wants pictures I can do that too

EDIT - I suppose price is in order. about $25-35 USD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE