which re-proofer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
What material is it made from?

Anything cotton or polycotton i use thompsons water seal for brickwork its cheap for a 5 litre tin and works well but dont expect to be wearing the garment for a few days after you have proofed it as it stinks to high heaven

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
They are all silicone based, hence the stink, lol. I've always used either Nikwax fabric & leather or Fabsil tent re-proofer, ebay is your friend for these :) My sister used the Thompson weather sealer that Still Waters mentioned on her tent and it worked a treat.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
The stink with thompsons water seal comes from the solvent the wax is mixed with

The solvent wax mix soaks into the fibres and then the solvent evaporates leaving the wax behind,i treated my lavvu with it about 6 years ago and its not let a drop in since

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I used it for my lavvu as well and it's been great. My only slight worry now is that as use a frontier stove in it, how flammable is it!

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I waterproofed a cotton smock with it and had embers from the fire land on it and it didnt go up in flames
I use a wood burning stove in my lavvu aswell and ive never had any problems

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE