Which Ray Mears Series Do You Prefer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I was watching Ray Mears Bushcraft-Jungle camp this morning and it made me think.What's my favourite series :confused: obviously you've got the main ones like "bushcraft" "wild food" "extreme survival" etc but you've also got his old ones like "country tracks". Anyway...just wondering what yours is and why? also, if you want to, go into which episode you find most interesting. For me it has to be any of the Woodland/jungle ones; particularly the "four seasons" episode. I much prefer watching them because I get the little voice in the back of my head saying "you could do that" haha.

Put as much or as little detail you want, might turn into a good discussion.

Cheers

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
I too like the 'four seasons' one as that is what is readily accessible in the UK, given that I only have weekends to do most stuff.
Winter snow scenes in forests get me excited also, as I love being outdoors in Winter.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The jungle trip with Ewan McGregor is a good watch if you've never seen it.

Four Seasons and The Canoe Journey are my fave Bushcraft episodes though.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
The making of the canoe for that episode is also quite an interesting episode. Nothing really "bushcrafty" happens but its good to see how the cannoe comes together :)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I liked the one where he took his shirt off and wrestled with another man.
Nah Im kidding, I liked the 4 seasons one, like someone else said , it was accessible. I am looking forward to the new series as the book has some focus on Paul Kane, an illustrator. I always feel the illustrators get over looked on these expeditions even though most of the atmosphere of camp life that we know of came straight from them.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Bushcraft - four seasons.
by far his best work. Well filmed, music score. Produced really well. I guess they used other companies afterwards as his work got dumbed down and went "survival".

Would love to see a whole series on bushcraft/aboriginal Britain based around the four seasons. Cheap to produce as no foreign locations and would be a collectors box set of our history, culture and instructional how to!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Can't name a series, but the two episodes that I really enjoy are Sweden and the jungle one with the USAF survival instructor

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
My favourite is the Novogridak (spelling?) episode where the locals where oppressed by the Nazis and went into the forest and developed an underground movement. Ray teaches that guy bow drill. The guy who'd honed his survival skills but never managed fire by friction. Ray boy teaches him and he gets it. Never have I seen a more unassuming man so happy. That look of happiness on his face can teach all of us a lesson in humility. Great stuff and I'd love to meet that chap and share a Scotch around the campfire. Excellent stuff. :You_Rock_

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Tracks, and the Belarus episode on Extreme Survial 3.
Sweden, 4 seasons, Abo britain on Bushcraft.
All good though, and the new series sounds great stuff.

Oh and the Evenk one on the World of Survival series :)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
It's difficult to think of one of the survival ones to pick from, as mentioned above Tracks were good, and the Belarus too. But from all of his I've saw I liked Heroes of Telemark. Those young soldiers ( most of which were around 19ish if I recall correctly?) had to do what most of us would surely faint at the thought of. The bravery and skill they had in first of all getting to and completing there mission was amazing, but nothing compared to the following escape.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I liked the one falling rain mentioned, the four seasons one and the Sweden one. The channel that used to have Ray Mears shows here hasn't showed them in quite a while and didn't seem to have a schedule for them when it did so I haven't seen too many.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
In order ;Canoe trip ( I am from Canada ; ) Rogers Rangers,Wild food ( deer hunting, I also deer hunt )4 seasons, Sweden, Belarus, and Rocky mountain survival. Honorable mention to Jungle survival ( the one with the American Dr. giving the slide show on jungle deceases- I am scared of wheel barrels to this day ).

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I'm caught up on Ray Mears now thanks to the power of Youtube and Veoh..

My favourites are.

The New Zealand Episode from 'World of Survival' IIRC.. I'm off in a week or so to Hike the Umukarikari range to Waipakihi hut again which features quite a bit in this episode...

Rogers Rangers from 'World of survival' is another favourite of mine.

I did notice that there seem to be some repeated themes in the later series, So 'Walkabout' builds on the initial episode of Wild Food and Northern Wilderness seemingly builds on the canoe journey and Birch bark canoe episodes of Bushcraft Survival..

is there any reason that 'heroes of Telemark' hasn't been repeated or put onto DVD??

It's all good fun to watch especially after a day in the office...

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
mine has to be the one where he met les hiddins they really clicked and it was like 2 heroes in one show.

but i also like the early bushcraft ones too

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I like The Rockies and All of the first DVD in Extreme survival 3....Because it's based around temperate climates,But I'm a big fan of Sweden,Four Seasons and his "Real Heroes of Telemark" series!

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
I two really like the four seasons one for all the same reasons as mentioned before. I like the jungle ones having spent some time in them, but I really enjoy anything within a temperate climate as its whats on our doorsteps!!
I've never seen the one with Ewan McGregor (SP?) - would anyone have a link to it on the web?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE