Which product to care for your boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Selling boots for now almost 20 years and having used a number of products myself (including selling them, which is not always the same) I want to know what you do use on your boots:
a wax or a silicone paste?
any spray?
Nikwax or Granger´s wax or Sno Seal or whatever?
Whatever it is, I would like to hear from it.

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
Nikwax are going to mostly discontinue their old fashioned wax tins, the wee round ones. I think they are still going to make it for stores that request it specifically, but it won't be a 'line' product anymore.

I've been trialling their replacement for a while. It's in a squeezy tube, it's more of a paste.

And....it's fantastic. Much easier to use, can be applied to wet leather and dos it's job very well. I've used it on my Redbacks, my Scarpa SLs and my Meindls. It even worked on my Barmah hat...

We're definitely going to stock it this year, and it's become my favourite for leather boots.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i use nikwax liquid stuf on mine, nikwax say most greesy stuf like dubin or polish softerns leather making it wear out quicker. i dont think i would use anything else.

pete

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I suppose it depends what the boots are made of. The ones I use at the moment are suade but I'm looking for some proper leather boots, when I get them it's good old dubbin all the way for me.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I used some kind of impregnating spray on my Lowas when they were brand new. Since then it's just been polish.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nikwax are going to mostly discontinue their old fashioned wax tins, the wee round ones. I think they are still going to make it for stores that request it specifically, but it won't be a 'line' product anymore.

I've been trialling their replacement for a while. It's in a squeezy tube, it's more of a paste.

And....it's fantastic. Much easier to use, can be applied to wet leather and dos it's job very well. I've used it on my Redbacks, my Scarpa SLs and my Meindls. It even worked on my Barmah hat...

We're definitely going to stock it this year, and it's become my favourite for leather boots.

I too have been trying this out - it gets my vote as well - but then I have always liked Nikwax products.....

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland

I too prefer the squeezy tube Nikwax to the old school wax tin one.
Much easier to get into the leather, and I haven't noticed much of a difference in functionality. In fact, if there is a difference, it's on the plus-side for the squeezy tube stuff.

/ Karl

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I've always used Brasha's own wax on my boots and it works a treat as well as dyeing all the scuffs out of them. After 10 years they still look nearly new after they've been waxed and polished properly.

If I had to go away from this then I would probably use Nikwax but just because its a name I recognise and I've always got on with their other products well.

Craig.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use Nikwax conditioner for leather, I don`t know if it`s still available to buy these days though. I bought it about 12 years ago and was so impressed I went out and bought another two bottles. I`m just about to run out though so I`m also interested to hear what people are using.

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
use nikwax conditioner on the mrs' KSB's and use good ole fashioned Kiwi ( not cherry) boot polish on my leather pro-boots
however i have been known when after giving them a thoro cleaning off to use nikwax before the kiwi ( leaving between coats to let it soak in)

been doing this routine for nigh on 25 years and im only on my 2nd set of boots ( current ones 8 years old - and yes they do get used)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE