which pack are you using & why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Missed this one somehow
Backpacking Multinight Trips - Osprey Exos 46 or ULA CDT

Hi Shewie. I've been looking at the Exos 46 pack recently as well as the Golite Jam. How do you find the curved frame for packing? And do you have any opinion of it over the Jam?

Cheers

Jon

T

Tedd

I've recently changed from a Sabre 45 to Camelbak BFM 500. The BFM is a larger version of the Motherlode which those in the forces will recognise. Awesome pack although quite heavy at about 2.5k on it's own, so I've also got a Golite for lightweight trips.

Good Youtube review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSV0IY9ZhiE

drphoto

Aug 4, 2011
france
after years of backache using a cheap 45 litre pack i bought a dutch ex militery lowe alpine sting. Its the most comfortable thing i've owned. I've only used it a few times but its solid, easy to compress down, and big enough that if I filled it with pouches on I probably wouldn't be able to lift it off the ground. I never found 45 litres enough for much more the a bit of clothing water and lunch. I dont like things tied on as they end up making noise and just moving about or catching on brush. I started packing it for a short winter trip the other day and I was impressed how well it seemed to swallow gear from down jackets, sleeping bag, tarp etc still leaving me room for food and water. It weighed about 12 kg before food and water which seemed ok.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I recently got a Lightwave Wildtrek 60l [same manufacturer as the Crux AK47]
Only used it once for a short hike so far, but Im already more impressed with the back system/Hip belt configuration/Lumbar support than others Ive owned.
It just seems to 'fit' better. To be more tailored, especially around the waist. It has a double strap system on the waist band.
Light and sturdy too. I also dont miss the side pockets. I quite like the alpinist style.
After years of carrying Karrimor Sabre 75, Norrona External Frame 100l, and others....I also quite like that it has none of the overt military overtones.

I should be able to comfortably carry a fifth of my body weight, about 18kg, for a week, 80% on the legs, rest spread over the shoulders/back.

This was a 'bridge' pack for me, somewhere between superlightweights and Mil spec. An all rounder. Hopefully To be used in different enviroments.

Last edited:

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I've been practising for the Pennine way with a few multi night trips between Edal & hebdon Bridge. Using an Osprey Atmos 50 the pack is nice and reletivly robust, and most of the pockets are fairly well thought out, my only niggle is that the two "Rocket packs" are big enough for a fleece, jacket etc, but not if you put them in a dry bag, seems a bit ill thought out that one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE