Which oil for Lansky Sharpener...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greenphotos

Aug 7, 2007
Hampshire
Hi all,

I have been entrusted with my father-in-law's (rip) sharpening kit and I have been using it with great reslts. I like the way I can get a uniform angle on the edge.
However the oil is running out... can I use general multipurpose oil or do i need some specialst stuff?
http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/LKDMD.php
LKDMD.jpg

LM010.jpg

Mark
:)

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
WD40 works pretty well. You don't want to use an oil that will dry in the pores of the stones.

That's exactly what WD40 will do, as it is solvent-based, it evaporates. Fine for loosening
things up when they're stuck, but you should ALWAYS lubricate properly afterwards.
On my Lansky, I use Heavy duty gearbox oil, but like you say, a general purpose will do.
As an aside, if you don't use oil from the start**, you can just rinse in soapy water
afterwards,;) but from the first time you use any oil, you always have to use it....
Hope that was clearer than mud...!! :rolleyes:

**Sorry, omitted to say use water instead of oil, then rinse afterwards......

greenphotos

Aug 7, 2007
Hampshire
Hi.

It does indeed clear it up. I've got some general pupose oil that I'll use.

Sharpened my Khukuri today for it's first proper use and it ate through a 6" peice of wood in no time! Amazing!
(Looks similar to this:
khukuri_13.jpg

Mark
:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE