Which Musical Instrument?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ah, from a Northern American I can see the viewpoint might be different :D

South American it is then :)
LOL. The one (southern American) being someone or something from the southern region of the United States while the other (South American) being someone or something from the continent South America.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There was one found near Deskford, which, iirc, had a 'tongue' fitted into the mouthpiece. That allowed for more than just the vocalisation change of sound.
I meant what I said about them screaming tearing the air. I suppose they were like the trumpets of the past.....is there not something about trumpets blowing down city walls somewhere too?
How about the shofars and the like ? Not quite something I could see Santaman2000 having a play with, but he hunts, why not ? :)
Indeed I have blown a hunting horn, though nothing like a shofar.

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
LOL. The one (southern American) being someone or something from the southern region of the United States while the other (South American) being someone or something from the continent South America.

It's the confusion of a North American claiming to be a southern one when South America is an enormous landmass, iimmc.
To you it's culturally relevant, to the rest of the world it's a "Why ??", kind of not quite clear conundrum.

Then again, there's the whole American thing....is it a continent ? yet the 'American people' claim it, and that's very limited to those of the United States, not the rest of the people who share the North and South continents....do Hawaiians claim it ?
I got flyted at for calling Canadians north Americans, even though they are Canadian North Americans.

Yeah. Back to the music methinks :D

Reactions: santaman2000

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
As a child I learned first to play the trombone and then the trumpet, but abandoned both due to the exigencies of O levels and all that. I later taught myself to play the melodeon but my melodion fell to bits so I took up the tin whistle instead and then graduated to the flute. I think a tin whistle is something you can take with you anywhere with minimum effort anyway.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That's nuts! But fun. I enjoyed that little clip but then I do like wierd music! I have played an appilation dulcimer which was played like that with fingers rather than sticks. It looks and sounds pretty much like one to me. I'd forgotten I wanted one. Now I'm gonna have to try and find one. Damm!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well I found one of my grandson’s old harmonicas’s a few weeks ago (a Hohner Blues Band) and I’ve been playing around with it. I’ve also ordered a newer, better one (also a Hohner, the Special 20 key of c) as his is a cheapo kid’s model. Mind the one I’ve ordered isn’t exactly top of the line but it is a good step up.

I still intend to move on to at least one strings instrument within the year as well. I have a few midrange ukuleles and a couple of mandolins on my wish list (mandolins seem to be a good bit more expensive than guitars of similar quality)

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
It's great learning to play an imstrument, I really enjoyed it, Hope you do too!! :cool::cool:

I had three terms at colledge back in 1999/2000, Halfway through I lost the fleshpad on my right index finger in a slinging accident at work!, It was strange learning to fingerpick with my middle finger, ring finger and pinkie!!
I went back to the correct ones some months later when when the skingraft had healed!

Most of these came from the bootsale, I bought the Mando for very little and hoped to learn to play it, I realised it was harder than guitar so I stuck it on fleabay and got a bit under a hundred quid for it! :jawdrop:
eK2Ud4x.jpg

PH7Avda.jpg

These didn't come from the bootsale!!
5YLXGDY.jpg
VcUv179.jpg
bl12flF.jpg

KI0hb53.jpg
wWcOynA.jpg

lw8zFl5.jpg
uZ7UDNK.jpg

I was a better player when I was learning than I am now due to the onset of Rheumatism :(

John :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Awesome collection! I hope I can learn the uke well enough to justify trying another instrument but I’ll have to wait and see.

Reactions: johnbaz

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Love that Mercury John, always yearned after one of those. I have a Neptune which sounds great but a bit big for sofa playing!

It' among my faves noe Mike as I pulled my right shoulder a couple of years ago at work and when I pick a Dread up, It hurts my shoulder after a few minutes, The Parlour sized ones are much easier on the shoulder, Just not very good if the 14'th or 15'th fret has to be played!! :banghead:

Here's a couple more of what makes the wife give it me in the neck!! :meh:
tIIzH7q.jpg
Seisnsn.jpg
J7aYaLO.jpg
tLdpWf1.jpg
lXgikS3.jpg
P5Em2j6.jpg
7m3kvXh.jpg
0cOyvu6.jpg

CadQh5u.jpg
anlNr0q.jpg
EDFPEUo.jpg
h9oDtCs.jpg
oagsoQL.jpg

The wife is always at me to get rid of my guitars and guns, It would be better getting rid of her I reckon!! :happy:

John:)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Second year at uni I tried my mates guitars. He let me loose on the acoustic and he used the fender. He started to teach me and I was doing ok. So I went to buy an acoustic from a great music shop in Leeds.

He guided me to a £90 yamaha because iirc the 12th fret was exactly in the middle which was why the sound was so rich. I couldn't play it so lost interest.

The reason was I'm right handed so bought a guitar for right handed people. My mate was left handed and bought the guitars for left handed people. I was better with left handed guitars but because I've bought the wrong one I've lost interest.

It's hard when the picking hand and the hand on the frets don't work. I've tried my guitar upside down and the hands work OKish so I know I'm a left handed with guitars. One day I might get one and learn again.

Good luck with your instrument Santaman 2000. Slow to start then it'll probably click.

Personally look at electronic keyboards/ pianos. You've got a little experience of that so perhaps easier to learn now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE