Which Mora?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The one you think will be best for your activities mate. Carbon steel blade if you want the best edge sharpness and retention but it'll need cleaning and oiling after a days use where as a stainless steel wont need much maintenance but also won't be or stay as sharp. Pick a steel then pick a handle/blade shape you like the look of!

They are true bargains though, Ray Mears sells the discontinued Mora 510 in limited numbers and it'll be a good collectors piece amongst fans of the 510.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
All depends on what environment you're using it in.

If I was sea fishing then I'd go for stainless steel blade etc.

Basically they're all good knives for their price. After all they wouldn't be the bushcraft industry standard knife usually issued to students if they weren't much good.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've got a Mora Triflex in the new Bushcraft range back in feb.. can't fault it as a knife.. has held its edge, been batoned, and used widely.. still perfectly sharp...
For the prices ayou can't really go wrong which ever model you chose.
cheers
Gareth

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I prefer the handle shape of the 640/740 series knives, but I understand that they're discontinued. I'm less keen on the handle on the 511 and I don't think I've seen a 510. I really dislike the handles on the bushcraft range - that finger groove does nothing for me at all.

The best bet for me is the clipper or the craftline handles, and these knives are easily available, and cheap.

I really like the 106 and 120 sloyd knives, but they're better suited to woodcarving rather than general use.

Bottom line is as the others have said - go for the one that you like the look of. They are excellent value for money.

(Oh, I see you are in West Yorkshire. Clas Ohlson in Leeds should stock them.)

Cheers

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I prefer the handle shape of the 640/740 series knives, but I understand that they're discontinued. I'm less keen on the handle on the 511 and I don't think I've seen a 510. I really dislike the handles on the bushcraft range - that finger groove does nothing for me at all.

The best bet for me is the clipper or the craftline handles, and these knives are easily available, and cheap.

I really like the 106 and 120 sloyd knives, but they're better suited to woodcarving rather than general use.

Bottom line is as the others have said - go for the one that you like the look of. They are excellent value for money.

(Oh, I see you are in West Yorkshire. Clas Ohlson in Leeds should stock them.)

Cheers

the 511 is just a 510 with an over sized finger guard thing..I think it is marketed towards the youngsters but if you grind of that ugly finger guard down to about 1/3 then you've got yourself a great knife.

This is my trusy mora 510..

AMK1.jpg

It has formed a rather nice patina :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I prefer the carbon steel Jonsson Mora knives - I just think the steel is better - but I hate the plastic sheaths and prefer to rehandle them as well.
I have turned out loads of the reworked Moras over the years.. and I still have 3 that I have kept for my own use :)

Quackers

May 21, 2011
UK
Ok so I plan to buy a mora knife for bushcraft, but I cant decide which one to get. From what I've seen and read so far I gather that the Mora Craftline All round, High Q and 2000 models have tangs that go back about 3/4 the length of the handles. What are the Bushcraft models like in comparison and would it be better to go for the Carbon or Stainless models?

I've plenty of folders but no fixed blades as of yet and the mora's seem to be good workhorses for the £.

Any suggestions? :eek:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ok so I plan to buy a mora knife for bushcraft, but I cant decide which one to get. From what I've seen and read so far I gather that the Mora Craftline All round, High Q and 2000 models have tangs that go back about 3/4 the length of the handles. What are the Bushcraft models like in comparison and would it be better to go for the Carbon or Stainless models?

I've plenty of folders but no fixed blades as of yet and the mora's seem to be good workhorses for the £.

Any suggestions? :eek:

510 model from the ray mears site also has a 3/4 tang or if you don't like plastic handles go for the stick tang mora originals.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
The bushcrafts seem to be the same blade unit in a different handle and sheath. As Iv'e mentioned above I don't like the bushcraft handles, but I do like the Clipper style handles. The wooden handled sloyd knives (120 and 106) are brilliant wood carving knives.

The carbon steel is considered to be easier to sharpen, but needs more care. The stainless steel is considered to be more difficult to sharpen, but needs less care. They're all pretty well excellent knives for the money.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE