which meths setup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
that was the question in the never ending fine tuning of my kit! spent a couple of hours sorting through various cooking systems trying to find the usual compromise of weight and size.

i wanted a fairly light, (without the massive expense of titanium!) back packable setup for a few days or more away. so out came my crusader, west and east german mess kits, a primus pan along with 2 trangia meths burners, an army version and a civilian one. oh and a trangia triangle and pocket stove. conditions were dry with a light wind at 26.4c.

interestingly the army burner fits directly into the triangle, which works very well as a stable pot stand and windshield. although if used with the crusader mug would need extra supports. lots of water boiled and as many permutations as i could think of later, and the un-scientific result for me based on size and weight, was for the pack a crusader mug, the civilian trangia burner with the pocket stove wrapped around it. out of the car boot was the triangle, army trangia and West German kit.

bloom and boil times on both burners were very close, only a minute between them boiling up .25L of water. taking about 4.5 minutes on average and using only 10ml of fuel.

as mentioned this is not meant to be a very exacting review, but it fills my criteria with what i had to hand. here's a few pics...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE