which lens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok I now that these threads can be a bit tedious for some of you who have been around a bit with your camera but want some thoughts:D
Well after a long time head scratching I bought a canon 450d which I have slowly been finding my way around. I went for the standard kit lens 18 55mm is as a walk around lens to find my feet
I will be looking at a larger zoom in the near future as the reasoning for me getting the dslr was to take better pic's of birds and wildlife in particular deer.
So recommendations for something that will get me closer to animals (dont say me feet!:rolleyes: ) that will be reasonable in lower light (dawn and dusk) and comes in £350 or under or there abouts. I will usually be walking with the lens so is? Monopod?
Anway I know the budget will be tight for quality but at the mo money is short.
Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Looked at that Ark angel but wasn't sure about the performance in lower light?
Also thoughts on extenders?
Many thanks Dave

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
The image stabiliser will help keep the shots sharper in low light. Both my Nikon lens have vibration reduction (different name, same job!) and the system works very well.

As i said you can increase your ISO rating to get faster speeds as well.

Other than that you have few options on your budget. At longer focal lengths the more light you want into it the bigger the glass has to be and the more it costs, simple as that i'm afraid!!!

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1022996

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=10000538

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=12821

Teleconverters are ok but the image quality is poorer than lenses built to work within a focal distance.
x1.7 and x2 are the most common. They darken the veiwfinder image so even seeing in low light could be a problem for you. They also lose 1 and 2 stops of light respectively.

So a 70-200mm lens that has a maximum aperture of f5.6 @200mm will become a 400mm lens with a x2 converter.......
but will only have a maximum aperture of around f8 so is slower than using a 70-300mm lens which at least can open to f5.6 and with your camera will become a 450mm lens.

Hope that is of some use:)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Makes perfect sense thankyou. Hope to get some pennies for me birth day!
Dont spose anyone has got a 'before and after shot' with a 300mm lens?
Be nice to know how close it can go do fuel my excitement!
Do any other canon fit lenses have a type of image stabilisation?
Was just thinking of options if my budget doesn't run to the canon!
Thanks for your time AA
D

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Tommy,

Everyone will have a different oppinion on this I think but if you are sure you will be using a tripode or monopod the IS may not be the best value for money. The reality is you will want to change any 'low cost' long lense fairly quickly if you are very keen on this type of photography.

With my first digital EOS I bought a 75-300 4-5.6 EF III USM - which is currently around £200. It takes a fair picture but I quickly upgraded it so I'm glad I didin't spend much more.

Don't be too tempted to turn up the ISO setting too high - the levels of noise will disappoint. I tend to leave the lense wide open on aperture priority and let the camera set the highest speed possible for the shot. At least a £200 to £300 lense will let you try out the limitations and you'll get a better feel for what you need.

As I said, we'll all have different views but I hope that helps.

Cheers

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Makes perfect sense thankyou. Hope to get some pennies for me birth day!
Dont spose anyone has got a 'before and after shot' with a 300mm lens?
Be nice to know how close it can go do fuel my excitement!
Do any other canon fit lenses have a type of image stabilisation?
Was just thinking of options if my budget doesn't run to the canon!
Thanks for your time AA
D

I'll have go out the window when it gets light. It's seriously chucking it down here today so i don't think I'm gonna be out much with the camera today.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have 75-300usm f4-5.4 plenty on the second hand market for less than £100 it is pretty good in reasonable light. You are not going to get pro quality super bright sharp shots but it is a whole lot better quality than the 18-55 so if you have not found the limitations of that yet you would be very happy with it.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
So here we go then:

2 very quick shots between the rain

70mm
DSC_0138.jpg

and zzzzooooommmmm up to 300mm
DSC_0139.jpg

Hope that is of some use:)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I have 75-300usm f4-5.4 plenty on the second hand market for less than £100 it is pretty good in reasonable light. You are not going to get pro quality super bright sharp shots but it is a whole lot better quality than the 18-55 so if you have not found the limitations of that yet you would be very happy with it.
Robin where is the second hand market!
Happy to buy second hand just not seen anywhere selling s/h!

Thanks for the pic AA you are a star!
D:You_Rock_

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Happy to help mate.

"Second hand camera lenses" into Google got me this in seconds.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Default.asp

There were plenty more to choose from;)

Local camera shops (proper ones, not jessops:rolleyes: ) normally have a second hand section.

It is useful to be able to try the lens on the camera to make sure everything works OK. Focusing should be quick, use your depth of field preview button to make sure the aperture shutters close.
If the zoom lens you are look at is a twist model (turn a ring to get the zoom effect) then feel the zoom action. It should feel smooth with no sticky points or grinding.
If it is a push pull (push the lens away from you to get the zoom) then a good way to test the lens is to hold it "upside down" with the end that goes on the camera at the highest point.
If the lens extends under it's own weight then it is a good indication that it has had a hard life, not broken but it has definitely had some hammer.

:)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1010309

This should do the trick nicely.

Image stabilised so it will help with the long shots. A monopod would be useful.

The 1.5X magnification factor of your camera with give you a 35mm range of roughly 90-450mm

That should be close enough!!!

The aperture range may not be brilliant for really low light but you can increase your ISO rating to compensate
I'm hovering on the buy button on Amazon £388.... should I ?
Just think for what I would like to use the camera for this is a reasonable choice for the money!?!
Do I click?
Dave:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE