Which laptop?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok anyone bought a laptop in the sales?
I'm after a sub £500 laptop and dunno what to get!
I mainly use it for the Internet you tube and photos the missus does a bit of school work on there.
So H.packard toshiba? Intel dual ? 4gb 500 hd??
Ta save

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
For what you want you may as well go for a dual core netbook, better battery life and quite fast :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
AMD stuff is cool enough if your on a budget. I have had a load of my customers order stuff from EuroPC and they in my experience cant be faulted. Ask if they have anything thats cosmetic damaged or if they have any of their "box already opened" stuff, its usually only been opened for an upgrade and then the customer pulls out and they can no longer sell it as "new" but still ahs a 12 month manufacturers etc etc. Avoid Vista and celeron chips at all cost. Windows 7 isnt bad at all. Also for your 500 buff you should be looking at something decent. Also note you want a min of 3GB of Ram, very important with windows 7.

No connection just use them my self.

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
For those of you who use Ubuntu take a look at LinuxMint, its based on ubuntu but even better.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I've tried a few Linux Distros, But the newer version of Ubuntu is the best i've had, It takes a while to get your head round it lol.

It's a lot more stable than any windows offering i.m.o and it's FREE lol

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thanks for the support, I some times think I'm the only one :(

No, not alone. :)

I'm running Ubuntu on a couple of old towers and one very old IBM laptop, I also have a copy on my Macbook too. :)

Tommy, which ever machine you opt for you should be able to try out Ubuntu or one of the other Linux distributions without installing it on the machine or replacing any windows set up you have there. You may be surprised by how much faster and more responsive the laptop is.

Skip the latest Ubuntu release though, stick with the previous one 10.04, the new one works well but has a few unsorted niggles.

:)

Last edited:

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Now thats the problem with putors and people who know about them they start talking about stuff that for the thickies like me mean diddly squat.
Now what the hell are you lot talking about is it some sort of foreign language!
Thanks for the suggestions even if Im not sure what you just said.
Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok thanks guys think I got all that.
3gb min for windows 7
Don't get a celeron
Also something about not getting vista and try out ubuntu (sp)
Ok will have a look see.
I have a toshiba at the mo and have liked it but it's been a bit abused so will maybe look at the sattelites.
D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Toshiba Satellite Pro L450D-14Z from ebuyer. Unless you're en expert at programming or compiling Forget any brand of Linux it’s the least user friendly of all the operating systems, I’ve found the people who use it, all forget just how hard it is to learn it from the ground up. (fangirls will say it’s easy, but it’s not.)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Forget any brand of Linux it’s the least user friendly of all the operating systems, I’ve found the people who use it, all forget just how hard it is to learn it from the ground up. (fangirls will say it’s easy, but it’s not.)..."

Utter Pants!:nana:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE