Which Land Rover?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
one thing to remember is one of the reseasons defenders are so capable off road is because they have higher ride height,longer travel suspension which will always have a adverse effect on road,and being perminent four wheel drive they will use more fuel.
i love defenders and drove mine all the time and neva got anoyed or uncomfy its all part of the landrover experiance and i wouldnt change a thing, if these things dont apeal to someone then a landrovers not for them.
you need to love defenders to drive one otherwise there just overpriced high maintanance trucks
just my thoughts cheers

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Buy a Volvo :)

Volvo_C330.jpg

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
those volvos are awsome, on par with a steyr puch pinzgauer:) i would love to get that volvo's smaller brother the c202 valp as i hear you can pick them up for peanuts in sweden. the problem with these more exotic 4x4s is that you are unlikely to get insurance for them in the UK
shame bacause imo they are in a a whole different league compaired to the usuall land rovers and toyotas we have over here:(

pete

cletus

Sep 9, 2010
leeds
good thing about a defender they dont lose money.i go all over with the family and the two dogs.fuel filter oil filter and air filter 11 pound cheap maintenace.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i wish land rover still made a forward control, my mates pinzgauer can't be any longer than a 90 but it has more room in the back than a 110. it just makes so much sence.

pete

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
NFU - fantastic deal if you're over 25 and they cover you off road.

Cheers,

Broch

...and free trailer cover of up to £1k (trailer not trailer contents) with NFU. £240pa including business cover for mine (40y/o married male, driveway parking)

Couldn't believe Direct Line's comments of "trailer is uninsured and we need to know if you're towing regularly" err... it's a Land Rover, that's what they do! I actually laughed at the DL call centre monkey on the phone.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
A good set of ATs will do you for any number of road miles and spur-of-the -moment off-roading. Have a spare set of rims with MTs at home for dedicated O/R days. It doesn't take long to change a set of wheels.

You can get away with them, but if you need the extra grip, you really need the extra grip. That said if you got the kit to get yourself out of trouble, you can go anywhere.

I think my problem would be I have seen people do things in a Hilux, that you would not even attempt in a Land Rover for the simple reason it costs so much less. Who cares if you get a bump etc.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i have driven a defender 90 van one for a long time at my previous job, we managed to blow the engine so stuck a 300tdi lump in, was a great car and not that bad on motorways just a tad slow if your used to cars, the noise you get used to but i didnt find it that bad, im going to get a 90 soon as i move out the flat lol

drove a disco a few times aswell and can vouch for there off road capability, it was great with the air con on, the radio etc etc and all was muddy and stuff outside, but i would get a 90 based on price (and looks)

I have also driven a nissan patrol a lot, that was great but a bit disconnected from the action, and i thought uncomfortable after a while

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Recommending a pinz/mog/gaz when someone's asked for advice on a 4x4 for a little hobby forestry management and greenlaning is akin to recommending a Hilti when someone asked which hammer to use for putting up picture frames in their living room. :D

£4k - £5k buys a pretty good example of a Defender Tdi which will do everything the OP asks and probably more. £4k just about buys a set of new tyres (including a spare) and a service for a Unimog - not a lot more, certainly.

Not to mention the only way you'll make it do more than 60mph is by pushing it down a mineshaft. More or less the same goes for a Pinzgauer, except they're older and while slightly better road vehicles than a 'mog they're harder to find than an 18 year old virgin in Chatham. :nono:

There are 50% more Pagani Zondas for sale on Autotrader.co.uk than there are Pinzgauers for sale on pinzgauersales.com - go figure. ;)

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
Buy a nice car Grayfox and then you can use the money you have left over to pay a hairy arsed woodsman like me to do all your woodland work for you :)

on a serious note I use land rover defenders everyday when not playing in the Mog lol, I would go for a 110 double cab with BFG mud terrains. You can go anywhere, carry kit and people.

All the best

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
Recommending a pinz/mog/gaz when someone's asked for advice on a 4x4 for a little hobby forestry management and greenlaning is akin to recommending a Hilti when someone asked which hammer to use for putting up picture frames in their living room. :D

£4k - £5k buys a pretty good example of a Defender Tdi which will do everything the OP asks and probably more. £4k just about buys a set of new tyres (including a spare) and a service for a Unimog - not a lot more, certainly.

Not to mention the only way you'll make it do more than 60mph is by pushing it down a mineshaft. More or less the same goes for a Pinzgauer, except they're older and while slightly better road vehicles than a 'mog they're harder to find than an 18 year old virgin in Chatham. :nono:

There are 50% more Pagani Zondas for sale on Autotrader.co.uk than there are Pinzgauers for sale on pinzgauersales.com - go figure. ;)

so my chances of getting a couple of 18yo virgins in the back of my pinzgauer are slim?

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
im well biased towards land rovers as my dad owns a land rover repair company. as far as i can remember i have been taken to school in a land rover of some description.
im having one as soon as i pass my test, it may cost a bit on the fuel, but the insurance is next to nothing because its through dads business and when it breaks i can get it fixed for free.
my mum has a range rover L322 (no point saying new shape, theres the 2 new evoques out now) and my dad has a disco 3, they are the quietest most comfy cars i have ever known lol! no trouble in the snow, no fun either, couldnt get them to slide on the ice with at2's lol!

that volvo jobbie looks just like a land rover 101... speaking of that theres a 101 on ebay for 2k.

to the OP i would say get a disco 1/2 and put at2's on it. if your green-laneing only and not likely to be seriously off roading then a basic spec disco 3 is also an option. dad got his for 9k on an '03 plate and it will be going for ages.

anyone seen the new range rover evoques? i did at a yaucht show (next to the outdoor show in the excel building) and they just look like japanese crap, but look a bit nicer than some things out there. when the indians start making them im hoping they will make a basic one like the old defenders or even series 3 for other countries that dont want something shiny with elastic band tyres on flash rims. if they remade the old defenders or series landys which can be fixed with a hammer, set of spanners, duck tape and an egg, they would fill the niche in the market of someone who wants a durable workhorse which will last ages.

wow.... i went on a bit there... sorry...

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Don't apologize for going on, you made a good point about a niche market . they could easily make a basic 4x4 for less than £8k and it would sell
like hot cakes . just think of all the extras they could sell to bling it up for street or offroad.

Craig..........................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE