Which is the best large army surplus rucksack ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
That's a French army bag used by the 'chasseur alpin' ...the mountain branch of the army:)..

for some reason they're not very popular here, I've never seen one in the flesh so can't comment on the build quality & there's precious little info about them on the net.....I can tell you though that they sell for peanuts...for example...http://cgi.ebay.fr/SAC-A-DOS-renfor...6?pt=FR_JG_Sports_Camping&hash=item4845ba1d3c

Good gosh, cheap as chips, I've asked for postage costs and I'll buy one. Don't need one but at that money its worth a punt, thanks for the link

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Good gosh, cheap as chips, I've asked for postage costs and I'll buy one. Don't need one but at that money its worth a punt, thanks for the link
I think you could be onto a good thing there, by the looks of the pictures it's a direct copy of a Lowe alpine. Now all I need to ask myself is....do I really need another rucksack? The mrs says no! Lol

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Not sure about that. No side-pocket zips, and can't tell if its an adjustable back. But for around 25 quid posted to the UK it looks a good deal. Rik - let us know if its any good when you get it please?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Re the French rucksack....
Hope you don't think I'm encouraging you to buy one .:deal:.but after a google search I managed to find this....the back looks adjustable & has some serious padding in the shoulder straps & hip belt..looks extremely comfortable & well made.
The guy doesn't say much about about it but if you want anything translated , just ask...

http://bushcraft.fr/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2782

Edit: One word of warning though, where ever the weight is mentioned, it's usually around the 4 kg mark, so not a light bag...

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Not sure about that. No side-pocket zips, and can't tell if its an adjustable back. But for around 25 quid posted to the UK it looks a good deal. Rik - let us know if its any good when you get it please?
Not all Lowe alpine have side zips, it looks very similar to a civilianised salient that's then been put back into military ways, either or, it looks very good.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Defo not a Lowe Alpine................some sources say it's made by Millets but I find that hard to believe.............the back system does look L.A.-ish so was probably copied...& why not, it's a good tried & tested system, cheap to manufacture, easy to use & you don't have to spend a fortune inovating a new one.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Defo not a Lowe Alpine................some sources say it's made by Millets but I find that hard to believe.............the back system does look L.A.-ish so was probably copied...& why not, it's a good tried & tested system, cheap to manufacture, easy to use & you don't have to spend a fortune inovating a new one.
Exactly right, copy, modify, remanufacture for your own needs. Yeah it's not Lowe, but the back system and straps just scream copy of. I'm not up on the French equipment, but the Dutch kit is all copies of Lowe but made by a different maker, can't think of the name off hand and my Dutch pack is in the loft, could be the same story, get a big name in to solve the problem then take the design over and get it copied cheaper. Worked for the Brits with berghaus and the Bergen, haglofs for Swedish rucksacks, north face for 58 patt sleeping bags etc etc. anyway, I digress, the pack looks good and usable. We should buy one and do a pass round lol

garethw

Settler
My Dutch Lowe Alpine Sting pack came with a Lowe Alpine leaflet (in Dutch), and has Lowe Alpine marked on the press studs at the rear... So unless the supplier is selling counterfiet copies illeagally, its a genuine Lowe Alpine pack.. as supplied to the Dutch military.
whatever its a cracking backpack and good at double the price...
cheers
Gareth

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
My Dutch Lowe Alpine Sting pack came with a Lowe Alpine leaflet (in Dutch), and has Lowe Alpine marked on the press studs at the rear... So unless the supplier is selling counterfiet copies illeagally, its a genuine Lowe Alpine pack.. as supplied to the Dutch military.
whatever its a cracking backpack and good at double the price...
cheers
Gareth
It's genuine no doubt about it, what I meant was in the case of the Lowe alpine Dutch kit is that Lowe designed the range of rucksacks, but they don't hold the contract to supply them all to the military, both my sting and strike are made by someone else and are identical just without any branding ref to Lowe alpine.

Aug 11, 2012
Wiltshire
I've spent a lot of time researching the reviews on-line regarding this subject. The winner has got to be the Large ALICE pack. I've ordered mine today.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
The ILBE was designed by Arc Teryx so bound to be a winner. I looked at getting one direct from the US (you can buy them for about 50-70USD plus 50-60USD postage) and you will only really pay Parcel Force's £13.50 handling charge and some VAT. To give you an idea of costs...

I instead just paid a hideous amount for the FILBE (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPLETE-...ultDomain_0&hash=item1c2a52c160#ht_518wt_1271).

This is the complete set. It cost me £316 posted but I know I won't loose any money if I don't like it as collectors will pay at least that much for it. Now it arrives on Monday so I can't tell you what value the seller put on the pack but his page said don't ask for the declaration to be falsified so I imagine he put the full whack. I rang up to pay the customs charge yesterday and all I had to pay was £53 which included the £13.50 handing fee so in my opinion go for the US ILBE but make sure it has a lid! You can also readily get replacement frames, belt sets and shoulder sets for about $10-20USD each so you won't have to worry about busting them.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The ILBE was designed by Arc Teryx so bound to be a winner. I looked at getting one direct from the US (you can buy them for about 50-70USD plus 50-60USD postage) and you will only really pay Parcel Force's £13.50 handling charge and some VAT. To give you an idea of costs...

I instead just paid a hideous amount for the FILBE (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPLETE-...ultDomain_0&hash=item1c2a52c160#ht_518wt_1271).

This is the complete set. It cost me £316 posted but I know I won't loose any money if I don't like it as collectors will pay at least that much for it. Now it arrives on Monday so I can't tell you what value the seller put on the pack but his page said don't ask for the declaration to be falsified so I imagine he put the full whack. I rang up to pay the customs charge yesterday and all I had to pay was £53 which included the £13.50 handing fee so in my opinion go for the US ILBE but make sure it has a lid! You can also readily get replacement frames, belt sets and shoulder sets for about $10-20USD each so you won't have to worry about busting them.

+1 on making sure you get one "with the lid" as much of what I've seen on e-bay seems to be missing the lid or some other part.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I have the Woodland Camouflage A.L.I.C.E. Pack (All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment) System

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53502716@N06/17219370108/in/dateposted/

Framed ( medium ) Alice pack measures: 20" x 19" x 11".
35-45 Litre Capacity Bag
Has 3 Front Pouches with Large Main Compartment
Unique Design With Frame & Waist Belt
Drawstring Top Closure To Keep Items Within Secure
Very Comfortable & High Quality Bag

Supplied by "Only Army" Quality surplus

unissued In NEW Super grade Condition for £35.00 + £4.55 P&P

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Which is the best large military surplus rucksack ?..."

This is an old old thread I hope the OP got himself sorted.

The best military surplus pack?

People on the thread mention the lowe alpine models, not technically issue packs as far as I am aware but much much better back systems than the various bergans of offer.

If money is no object, something from the Kifaru range, these are the packs Carlsberg would make if they made rucksacks.

Second hand, if you can find a Lowe Vector Commando, then you will have found one of the best military packs ever made.

sac_lowe_samson.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
They did make some of the issued rucksacks originally but then the contract went out to two other companies that made them cheaper under licence.

They made some in dpm camo for general issue and there is a version in black (issued to the Dutch marines I'm led to believe)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
My ex dutch Saracen was made by another company under licence (by 'Arwy'), but is great quality, and has provided spot on service to date. I have no idea if the original lowe alpine models were better quality, but I find it tricky to believe they could get better than the licenced version! The British army is looking to bring a new bergen into service over the next few years - it will be interesting to see what they come up with. To be honest, bergens are pretty much the only item of issue kit that you still see the vast majority of squaddies using - so they must have got something right with it. The Air Assualt bergen is also issue, but save a few extra pouches on the front, a mesh back, wider shoulder straps and a few other bells and whistles - is essentially a modified PLCE bergen - and has the same strengths/drawbacks (the latter including the height it rides on the back-you can only get a shortback model - and the lack of usable hip belt)

YEOLDOAK

Jun 28, 2015
uk
As mentioned the USMC ILBE pack is certainly worth a look, but also
worth a nose is the newer USMC FILBE pack, uses a jump rated external
frame that is compatable with ALICE and MOLLE II componants,
this gives a very good mix an match modular option.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE