Which honing stone to get for my sharp tools?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Steeling the edge after final polishing puts a bit of "bite" in a finely polished edge.

I find with my fixed blades especially that if i strop and polish them to a mirror finish then a very light and i do mean very light run down a ceramic rod puts a bit of a burr on the blade to improve cutting.

I suppose you could just leave the polishing stage out but then i imagine (and i am no expert) that you would leave more burrs on the blade causing it to dull faster.

This is my experience anyways, i am sure others will have their own methods to overcome this.

I will admit my entire sharpening routine is based around the "extra's" section on Ray Mears bushcraft DVD.....i work on the principle if it's good for him it'll do for me until someone tells me a better/easier way to do it :D

Reactions: TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Yep, that all sounds correct to me.

I bought the RM DVD a couple of weeks ago (should have bought it a long while ago - would have made my months of experimenting a good deal easier :) ) I guess the car window thing would bear out the thinking behind steeling.

Thanks, AA.

Best regards,
Paul.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I would say a japanese waterstone with a 800grid for use at home and a Gransfors puck to carry with you.
Unless you have to resharpen a really dull or damaged knife or want your edge to be polished, these are sufficient.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Thanks for the URL, oetzi. Actually, I did read that thread, but I've probably read a couple of hundred threads since then. It's so hard to keep track of it all, don't you think? :)

Nice information to opinion ratio in that post :D

Best regards,
Paul.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I know it's been ages, but here's an update:

I haven't been able to get out much and do bushcrafty things, but this is mainly due to the fact that I did a lot of parenty things! Here goes: since March I'm the most proudest daddy :D

:beerchug:

But tomorrow I'm off to my first weekend off. Going to Scotland for a canoing & general otdoor/ bushcraft weekend, yes!!!

I'll let you know how it went! (probably post it over at songofthepaddle, but the bushcrafty things here)...

Thanks again for all the input, I will get the book and look into the different options.

For now I decided to go for a round honing stick (diamond), and will get a Fjallkniven DC3, something softer, and a Strop for on the go.

:You_Rock_

Mike

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have various diamond hones, oilstones and so on but value for money I would have to go for this four sided diamond hone I found in the gardening section in B&Q for just under nine quid.

Its got 200, 300, 400 and 600 grit sizes and as long as you dry it off after use its worth every penny.
It gets used on my plane blades, knifes, chisels, touching up router cutters and all sorts of stuff.

It might not have as good a quality diamonds as my 600 grit DMT hone but its still taken its place.
I have no time whatsoever for carrying stones in my toolbox as they only need to be dropped once and they are knackered.

Not much help with the serrated blade thing, it doesn't do that but as I detest serrated blades it doesn't bother me.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I would have to go for this four sided diamond hone I found in the gardening section in B&Q for just under nine quid.

I actually saw this yesterday at my local B&Q. I might go back and buy it. :11doh:

Not much help with the serrated blade thing, it doesn't do that but as I detest serrated blades it doesn't bother me.

Destest? Quite a strong word... :rolleyes: They are quite good (i.e. quick) for cutting rope & tat. I have a semi-serrated blade as I also do climbing (safety).

Mike

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I actually saw this yesterday at my local B&Q. I might go back and buy it. :11doh:

Destest? Quite a strong word... :rolleyes: They are quite good (i.e. quick) for cutting rope & tat. I have a semi-serrated blade as I also do climbing (safety).

Mike

I have done a fair bit of climbing myself and so far have only needed to use my knife once whilst out and that was cos my poor ex girlfriend got her long hair caught in the figure of eight absail ring coming down.

As I have virtually no hair on my head I could/should have foreseen it but never thought:eek: .

How often do you need to cut your rope or slings whilst climbing?
Yes, detest is quite a strong word. S orry that it offended you, I just find serrated blades to be useless for anything other than cutting ropes and even as a climber I don't need to cut ropes very often at all.

Regards Scott.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE