Which hatchet should I choose?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Can you tell me how to post a link please? I find it a bit confusing.
Drag accross or double click to slect the web address from the page you want to link to, right click that address and click 'copy'. On the BCUK post, left click the little globe symbol with the link in it. Then paste the address into the box that appears. :)

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Drag accross or double click to slect the web address from the page you want to link to, leftclick that address and click 'copy'. On the BCUK post, left click the little globe symbol with the link in it. Then paste the address into the box that appears. :)

right click pete surely ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Plus 1 for the Plumb (all else being equal, such as condition) Added points if it has the BSA logo on it anywhere. Second choice would be the Craftsman if it's an older one.

Hatchet

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2012
New Zealand
The Big Lebowski: both of them look great, but they're not available to New Zealand, which is where I live.
What do you think about the links I just posted?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Out of the links posted in your first post I'd pick the Plumb first (I still have and use mine which is over 40 years old) the Craftsman second, the Hartwell third (the Hartwell simpley out of looks as I've never used or even seen one before) and wouldn't even consider the True temper.

As for the one in post # 15; I have absolutely no knowledge of it but it looks good in pictures.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Hatchet what are you going to use the hatchet for? Some will be better at spliting like a Norlund or if you want to carve with it a Kent pattern is pretty good. Also what experience do you have with axes? I think any of the vintage wooden handle ones would be a good choice,just start with somthing cheep use it learn to sharpen it. Check out Reds tutorial on axes and sharpening and also Google up Old Jimbo lots of useful info there.

Hatchet

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2012
New Zealand
Santaman2000: thanks for your clear, to the point, and informative answer. :)

Markheolddu: I'm mostly going to be use it for chopping and splitting firewood. It would be good if it could carve passably as well, but that doesn't matter as much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE