Which Hammock ????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Any suggestions as to which hammock I should go for. I have never used one before as I`ve always kipped on the floor in my bivvy bag.
I don`t really want to spend loads of money on one as I might not enjoy the experience.
Does anybody have any experience of the cheap "roll-up to the size of a fist" models widely available in outdoor shops.
I`ve seen some Tracpac and Highlander models in this range.
Any comments would be appreciated

:buttkick:

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Best bet is to hang fire a little and arrange to meet up with someone who has one, and is willing to let you have a play etc
you'll know soon enough after that.
But as a guide, I think it was Magickelly who said " once you take to the trees , you'll never sleep on the floor agian"

Personally I have a Mosquito Hammocks Jungle Hammock, its a floating tent :)

Mr Strop

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
There are numerous types of hammock out there for from backyard users to the more adventures. I would suggest popping in 'hammock' into the search function (before you get flamed) as all of this has been covered quite extensively.

If you have further questions then do not hesitate to ask....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I think the dd hammocks that are sold on ebay are pretty good, just type in "bushcraft" and you will find them...............Jon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Apologies all .....

Found about a hundred threads on my questions !

Thanks

:11doh: :11doh: :11doh: :11doh:

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
You should try the 'Moskito Traveller' on www.trekdirect.co.uk . It's only £25 and has a built in mosquito net and is long enough if you are tall, and packs up small. DO NOT get the little army hammock if you are more than 3'9", or you'll regret it later. I did.
Oh, and once you've slept in a hammock, you'll NEVER want to sleep on the forest floor again. I sleep on one at home instead of a bed now - they are that comfortable :p .

Jake.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have the Vietnamese DD hammock off ebay. The seller is reliable and used to offer a discount to BCUKers so might be worth contacting him.

benmatthews90

Oct 31, 2005
devon
try the tropical hammock from the nomad website only about 20/25 quid and has two layers to keep you warm.
the only one i have ever bought (have used many) and i love it .I even prefer it to my own bed!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I'll give another thumbs up to the jungle hammock from http://www.mosquitohammock.com/ but I would say to buy direct from Tom himself, as you are dealing with a great guy and funding his around the world adventures!

The little string jobs that roll up in to a fist size ball are ok if you want to put your feet up for a few minutes on the trail, but for a good night's sleep- faggedaboutit as they say in the dodgier parts of New Jersey. They're ok for dropping kit in under your main hammock though.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Spacemonkey said:
I'll give another thumbs up to the jungle hammock from http://www.mosquitohammock.com/ but I would say to buy direct from Tom himself, as you are dealing with a great guy and funding his around the world adventures!

The little string jobs that roll up in to a fist size ball are ok if you want to put your feet up for a few minutes on the trail, but for a good night's sleep- faggedaboutit as they say in the dodgier parts of New Jersey. They're ok for dropping kit in under your main hammock though.

Those little string jobs are great for hanging under your sleep hammock for storing all your gear in.................Jon

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
It's a Hennesey for me. Not cheap, but more comfortable than anything else I've tried, and if you get the snakeskins, then putting up and stowing is so easy, everything stays nice and dry. Used it in the States last autumn and slept so well.

Downside, well if there are no trees you might be struggling to find a pitch but there are ways with only a couple of poles. and insulating your back and bum can be a problem, but there are some novel ways to deal with it on this site:

http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
In case you haven't visited his page lately, Tom Claytor has his latest model in production and ready for sale. It's the Expedition Hammock.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

The Expedition model is sort of a cross between the original Mosquito Hammock and the Jungle Hammock. It has dark netting, but is 4 x 8. Also, the body is breathable, rather than waterproof, which I find better as it's comfortable over a broader range of temperatures.

This model has a handy net pocket midway down the closed edge -- very handy for the contents of your pockets, flashlight, reading material, etc.

AFAIC this is his best model ever, and the best hammock for buschcraft and backpacking. Really affordable, too.

Bear

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i got the ray hammock and it certainly is a comfatable sleep - down side it is rather over priced and it wieights too much - i have carried lighter tents

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
Okay could somepne tell me do the hammocks sway alot?

I have used Hennesey and they have side ropes to stop the sway, slept well in them. Is this better for bad weather?

I am looking for hammock but found the hennesey was not good for sitting in during the day as very enclosed and give no visability.

I like the idea of being able to lower the trap in bad weather and at night yet can raise it so give view etc in day .

Does the Expedition Hammock from http://www.mosquitohammock.com/ allow you to do this/

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
First question: swaying.

I have found that if you have a single line that wraps around a tree, you will sway a lot, such as a design like this:

O-<===>-O or this O<===>O where the straps meet at the tree, you will sway a lot.

If however you have straps like the www.mosquitohammock.com designs that wrap around either side of the tree, and converge at the end of the hammock itself, you do not sway much at all, like this:

O>===<O if you understand my diagrams!!

Now, sitting on the hammock. This is easily possible on the mosquito hammock design, I do it often. I secure the tarp using bungees so it is easy to adjust if you want. You just unclip the mosquito net and sit on it, or you can unzip the net, and do it up tight to your legs if flies are a problem, and keep it clipped onthe guy line if you wish.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
You can sit in the Hennessy- undo one of the side tieouts, then fold the hammock material back on itself. This makes little shelf on which you can sit or lie. It's not as comfortable as sitting in my speer hammock or m homemade thai one, but it'd be good enough to sit and cook from.

The tarp can be raised up, or one side unpegged and folded back over the other. Not an enormous tarp by anymeans though....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE