Which GPS?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

merc350

Sep 29, 2012
Huddersfield
Hi guys, i am thinking of pulling the trigger on a hand held GPS. I am a mac user so Garmin is at the top of the list. Anyone got any recommendations as to which is the best model when out in the field? Not concerned about the latest model , more something that is functional and works well in most conditions. However if the newest models are far superior i don't mind buying new.

Any advice much appreciated

ATB

Paul

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
418px-Garmin_Etrex_H_7262.jpg

I got a Etrex H (H being important for better signal in woody areas) from amazon a year ago? Anyway it is very simple to use, battery life is good, compatable with google earth with the optional usb cable. Doesn't have a map on screen but it gives you a track of where you have been/where you want to go etc. I use it mainly for measuring the distance of walks, logging waypoints of interest and navigating to a grid reference points of interest on a OS map.

Being simple to use is good too because then you don't need to carry a 50 page manual for all the settings you will forget.

I can't compare it to others and I am sure there is much better available but I am well happy with it for £70 new. There use to be a fella called GPSbitz that sold me a USB Data/Power cable, can't seem to find him now.

Last edited:

bearbait

I've a Garmin 62S (as well as an older 60CSX). I went for the one without preloaded mapping as it takes up some of the available memory, permanently I believe. I just load whatever maps I want for anywhere in the world as and when. (I get my routable maps from here which are based on OpenStreetMap - which you could contribute to using tracklogs and waypoints from your new unit!)

One thing I like about the 62 series - made me upgrade from the 60CSX - is being able to calibrate (georeference) satellite/aerial images or scanned maps and then load them into your unit getting your position overlaid on the imported image. Garmin will sell you aerial images but there's stuff around you should be able to get gratis. Some national mapping agencies provide digital versions of their maps free so you can grab those too.

The unit seems to keep the signal very well in thick forest and in deep canyons, and works fine in the car without an external aerial. It's chock full of features such as altimeter, which seems pretty accurate (depending on satellite geometry), compass and other stuff I haven't found or used yet. But it is an expensive unit if all you want is a simple backup for your regular nav.

If you go for one make sure you upgrade the firmware as the early firmware versions of the 62 series were a bit adrift on the speed and distance shown on the dashboard display, along with one or two other "undocumented" features.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I work with the etrexH, gps 60 and the new etrex 20. The old etrex and the 60 are basic but great if you have an os map of the area. the new etrex20 is brilliant, using the birds eye imagery you buy 600sq km of 1:25k background map (for £20) and just select the areas you need, in any amount.

The only downside is the screen is quite small, but you can zoom in easily.

www.handtec.co.UK is worth a look.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Hi do you buy the 600sqkm background maps form Garmin?

The ones I bought had a £20 voucher included in the box - just scratch off to reveal the voucher code, once you've registered on garmin Basecamp you can buy as many as you like online. there are free maps on there as well.

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
I have the basic Etrex and a all singing and dancing satmap fully loaded with maps. I almost never use the satmap as its heavy, takes up to much pack space. I have used a few different nav systems that can be loaded with maps but they are just not a easy to use as paper as the screens are All to small for orientation . I would just buy a cheap extrex they are bomb proof and small. Always have a map and keep the sat nav for an emergency, then you will never need it.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
It all depends on what you want to. use it for. I use mine for work in the Uplands and geocaching.

Size wise the etrex old and new are similar.

yqaqujag.jpg

I walked11 miles on the fell tops yesterday in the fog and driving rain , not on paths/tracks and the inbuilt map was crucial. Had I been using a os paper map I'd have had to constantly refer back to it with coords.
5emaju3e.jpg

I would never rely on the gps, always having compass and paper map in my bag.

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
I have the etrex 20, had it for about 6 months, never had a gps before so didn't want to spend loads in case I didn't get the use out of it. I've been really impressed however and use it all the time, find it very useful when going to areas you aren't familiar at all with and when hiking on own. You can download opensource 1:50000 maps from http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm which I've found to be good. I'd certainly recommend these maps rather than buying any extra maps initially. There are websites where you can download maps for most countries too. It takes AA batteries so running out of charge never an issue unlike using a smartphone. It weighs very little too. I still do carry paper map and compass but find them nowadays only as backup.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I have a Oregon 550 with the maps on a chip and it's fantastic. Yes there is still a compass and map in my ruck somewhere but it's never let me down. Duracell 2600mah rechargables keep it running permantly for a day or so with no problems.

I have an i-mac and the updates work flawlessly.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I think the only other thing that crossed my mind was Satmap.

As i understand it the maps are more expensive to buy but you get free updates for life whereas if i wanted updated maps on my Garmin i would have to buy a new chip.
But at the silly price i got mine for i couldn't say no and like i say i've been really pleased with it.

merc350

Sep 29, 2012
Huddersfield
Looking at the answers on here and doing research then it's a toss up between the Etrex 30 and the 62s.
I love the oregon but am put off by the touch screen (having to take gloves/mitts off etc)

My friend has the 62s and likes the bigger screen and mentions better base map and antenna.

Reading reviews you get mixed reviews on etrex. I am leaning towards this unit but it's worrying when people mention poor base maps, small screen etc....

So has anyone got any real world hiking/ camping experience of this unit or the 10/20?

Thanks to the people who have already posted their opinion on the etrex :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE