Which golok, parang or machete?

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Ebening all,
I'm not in the Market yet, but for my next knife, I would like something big :)
Can you recommend me a parang, golok or machete?
Any particular model? Pics & links would be even better :)

Priced around the £100 mark. Cheaper is good too :)

Cheers

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I recently got one of these, my first big blade:rolleyes:and rather like it.
attachment.php

I got it from Heinnie Haynes.

Just remember the sheath is extra.

HTH,

Simon

Attachments

• 6180.jpg
    6180.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 148

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I recently got one of these, my first big blade:rolleyes:and rather like it.
attachment.php

I got it from Heinnie Haynes.

Just remember the sheath is extra.

HTH,

Simon

Cheers Simon, I was looking at one of those, but it seemed incredibly cheap for such a big knife! What's the steel & build like?
After all, I wouldn't want it to come apart & slash my chest open!!!!!!

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Cheers Simon, I was looking at one of those, but it seemed incredibly cheap for such a big knife! What's the steel & build like?
After all, I wouldn't want it to come apart & slash my chest open!!!!!!

I bought it after reading a review done on here. I'd agree with everything said in the main review...well worth the money IMHO.

Simon

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...After all, I wouldn't want it to come apart & slash my chest open!!!!!!

You been talking to JD? :rofl:

You haven't said what you'll be wanting to use it for. I have several machetes and parangs, you'd be welcome to try out a couple if we ever get that Oxfordshire meet organized [edit- forget I said that, it was Tank not Trunks]. :) Failing that, maybe we could do another passaround.

My take on it is that there are two main uses for this kind of blade. Slashing thin vegetation to clear spaces or make a path through it, and cutting bigger things like tree limbs for shelter building, firewood (including splitting smaller logs), and larger clearing operations. I use a light Tramontina machete for most brush clearing type jobs, cheap as chips and perfectly adequate. I have heavier parangs and similar for heavier work. JonathanD did a review a while back (search for "Borneo Parang" or something). It was one of those that, er, cut short his recent Venezuela trip. The ones reviewed by JD are also cheap but as they were brought back from Borneo by Woody, not as cheap as they could have been. :)

There's also the issue of bending low. If you don't want to spend a lot of time crouching to reach whatever you're cutting then a much longer blade is desirable. A bit of a pain to carry if you're not using it, however.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE