which Fallkniven knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 16, 2010
Dartmoor
I'm rapidly approaching a birthday, and my very kind parents are willing to buy me almost any knife. And i know this is a bushcraft forum but i was thinking more along the lines of a survival knife.
But which knife would you guys/girls recommend out of the F1, A1 or S1?
huge thanks in advance for any help.
p.s. i already have the almost obligatory mora clipper and a knock off MOD jungle knife, i'm just looking for something a big special.
thanks again for any help you can give me.
Peace and love guys

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
A LOT of guys have the f1 and have a great time with them, have you thought about something handmade by one of the makers here, or over on British Blades, if your in the market for something special? might be a thought.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
F1 is a survival knife.
S1 Forest knife is my fav. from the three you mention.
A1 is huge!, 6.3inch blade.
S1 comes in at just over 5inches if I recall.
All good.
My best.
Chris.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
If you want some thing special and you like fallknivens why dont you get one of the new models with 3G steel and curly birch handle they are stunning, or as southey said get one made. I do woodlore clones and bush tools with just about any handle materials for £120- £190. And there are plenty of other makers if you dont like what I do.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I've had an S1 for a few years and it is a great knife. My favourite Falkniven for general purpose use but thats just my personal opinion. I now prefer to use the knives i make myself and i would also advocate a handmade knife as you can incorporate your own design features and have the pleasure of owning a beautiful one-of-a-kind that you will treasure and be proud of for the rest of your days!

Dazcon.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i,ve had most of the Falky,s which i like and the only one i have left and am keeping is a sambar stag modded H1 which is fantastic,make the F1 look kinda puny .

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
i,ve had most of the Falky,s which i like and the only one i have left and am keeping is a sambar stag modded H1 which is fantastic,make the F1 look kinda puny .
Not sure about the "puny" bit...? I've handled them all at shows etc, and have an F1, which at 4.5mm blade width is absolutely bombproof. If I didn't already own a campknife, I could be very tempted by the A1 which looks a real beast...:yikes:

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
The A2 is a crackin' camp knife one of my favorites up there with a Cold Steel trailmaster.

Last edited:

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Well, thats my Fallkniven S1 on the left.
DSC00701.jpg

And these are a few of my home-made knives.
DSC01216.jpg

DSC01289.jpg

2010-03-28130625.jpg

firsttriplet.jpg

Dazcon.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor

H1 is more a hunting, skining knife ( tho I have used mine to good effect in 'bushy' situations, it would not be my first, or even second choice! )
As for puny, well there is only about 3mm in blade lenght but the H1 does feel like a bigger knife ( never heard of an F1 being called 'puny before ! It is a bit of a pocket tank IMHO ! )
My best.
Chris.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Some people see Fallkniven knives as sharpened crowbars but i can't fault.....niven them! Ho!ho! Sorry guys, couldn't resist!
But seriously Dave, you could buy a full tang blank and have someone handle it to your own specification. Personally, i would get someone like Rob to make you the knife of your dreams and be forever over the moon with it.

Dazcon

What do you want to use it for? I had an F1 and swapped it for a Woodlore Buck saw, which I didn't like and sold it on. I made a lot more use of a little WM1 knife which was a great little knife, but as would seem with a good few Falkniven knives, the handles are a but too narrow and become rather uncomfortable with prolonged use. You'll get a really good knife from someone like FGYT or Bernie Garland for the price of an S1 or even a F1 and it'll be a much better user, but think about what you will mostly be using the knife for and then get something appropriate. Better still, get a blade and put your own handle on it. It's really not very difficult.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I had this problem a few months ago and in the end I got the F1. It's a grweat knife, but the handle is just too small (have now rehandled few). The S1 is great too, but would not buy one, and I know that the A1 is a work horse, but I just don't like the look of it. I agree with these guys, maybe get a custom maker to set you up with one - especially if you are looking for something special. Or you could get a blade blank, and handle the knife yourself (or even make one from scratch)

andy r

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2010
Torquay
Slightly off your line but I got hold of TK4 as an EDC recently and have to say it's brilliant ! Then I have a choice of custom fixed blades for camp use etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE