Which Digital watch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I really should get a watch for work. My last Traser died thanks to power tool vibration and nasty magnetic fields. I replaced it and got a Casio for work. Then the Casio fell apart.

So what to get? I would like a digital (watching the hands go round at several hundred times quicker than they should is a bit surreal, but can't be a good thing) Something that can be beaten around a lot, with a fairly clean display. The Casio G-shocks would be ideal but all the extraneous displays blinking away just annoy me. Just time and maybe date, please.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I love my G-Shock and it hasn't got blinking bits :)

it's a GWM-5600BC-1ER Casio Wave Ceptor. I got a Zulu strap for it and replaced the stainless steel/rubber one it came with.

g2.jpg

I got it Here but it's gone up in price from the £80 it was.

Edit to say that's a carp pic, the displays a lot brighter in reallife

Last edited:

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
G-shocks are pretty good, I got a free one with a mobile phone about 8 years ago. Still going (quite) strong -some of the plastic 'armour' is coming away now though. The light is a full screen green backlight, really good. Can even use it as a non-disruptive torch when I come in from the pub!

Jay

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
I've had a number of G-Shocks, infact they are all still working.
The plastic straps however have started to split and crack, that's my only critisism.

I do wear them 24/7 so they get a bit of greif.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am one of these people that does not get on well with watches, they break or fail in some other way with annoying regularity.

I have never found a plastic or resin cased watch that has not broken, and I am even a bit brutal with the metal cased ones.

Right now the best survivor is a simple lorus sports watch, which looks pretty much like the more expensive seiko divers watch (and probably has the identical workings inside)

The plating on the bezel has worn off, but the glass hasn't broken yet, and it does actually work underwater as I swim with it regularly.

Does what it needs to, tells the time and I don't have to worry about dropping it. Cost me fifty quid about five years ago.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I would reccomend that u spend a little bit more and get yourself a good "automatic" watch. No batteries to replace, never stops as long as u are wearing it and even if u take it off, most good ones will run for 30-40hrs before stopping.

It may help but I've got a Traser auto steel case with black leather strap and all the normal titrium hands and markers and waterproof in as new condition. (available for £120 inc postage) the rrp was £195 when I bought it.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I use a GW-M5600 a lot, i replaced the standard plastic strap with a G-shock bracelet and it's a really comfortable, tough and accurate watch.
DSC02740.jpg

The bracelet is great, not cheap but i can't get on with the regular casio straps.
DSC02731.jpg

DSC02730.jpg

DSC02727.jpg

That's it beside the cheaper DW-5600E, no atomic synq or solar power but still every bit as tough.

DSC02772.jpg

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
My G-Shock has been on my wrist for two years. It is my only watch and I wear it all the time. It gets plenty of abuse (not intentional) and it's still working splendidly. I wear it felling trees, fixing the car, digging the allotment, pulling gunk out of ponds, you name it.

Here's a picture of it. I rubbed the dirt off the glass for the picture. There's a few scratches and dents in the body but they are just cosmetic. The nylon strap is comfortable and is wearing well. If I do manage to eventually wreck the watch it wasn't too expensive, although I'll be sad if it breaks I won't cry or have to sell the kids.

G-Shock001.jpg

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I second Rapidboy's suggestion for the DW-5600E. Good functions without too much cluttter.
My only gripe with the DW-5600E is that is doesn't have Auto EL (the option of having the light come on automatically when you tilt the watch up to look at the face). Without Auto EL it needs your other hand to press the light button, which isn't practical sometimes and can be very difficult when wearing gloves.

I wear the more expensive GWM-5600 as my work watch. I was happy to pay more for the radio controlled accuracy, Auto EL and solar powering.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I second Rapidboy's suggestion for the DW-5600E. Good functions without too much cluttter.
My only gripe with the DW-5600E is that is doesn't have Auto EL (the option of having the light come on automatically when you tilt the watch up to look at the face). Without Auto EL it needs your other hand to press the light button, which isn't practical sometimes and can be very difficult when wearing gloves.

I wear the more expensive GWM-5600 as my work watch. I was happy to pay more for the radio controlled accuracy, Auto EL and solar powering.

I had one before with the auto light and ended up giving it away because the auto light was always coming on when I was driving.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I do prefer analogue watches, but work is just a nasty thing to do to them.

Casio 5600 series is definitley the favourite at the moment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE