Which carved best ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
I know it's not finished yet, and I don't even posess a spoon knife yet but was bored this afternoon so got the axes and knives out. Out of the knives, which do you reckon was the best carver ? Will spill the beans later tonight ;)
The axes were brill btw, could probably have done all the carving with them, and quicker too :)

image.jpg

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I'd say the folding SAK looking thing top right

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Well, all were shaving sharp before I started. All appear to be full flat grind too .. but there the similarities end.

The Nielson is a great utility knife and I love it but it really struggled to cut the green wood at all. No idea why.

The SAK Farmer was great, very controlled cuts and a nice size for carving. It did need a touch up on the sharpener a
couple of times though.

The BB forum Urban was just fantastic which really shocked me. Maybe the blade is a little large but it sliced into the wood with virtually no effort at all. And it kept on cutting .. and cutting. In fact it was so good I did probably three quarters of the carving with it. At the end it was still shaving and needed no sharpening at all. That Elmax is good stuff !

I never thought I would say it but my new carving blade is a Spydie ... well until I get a cheap Mora ;) Anyone who has the BB knife should give it a go :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Only thing to do now is pass the 3 knives to a dozen or so other carvers... see who likes what. Then post up the results. Job done :D

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Take them to a couple of meets... throw them around the attendees and see what comes of it.

Interested though... you're from Wigan. What areas do you camp out? Spent a good few years in Wigan, a few over near Standish, some near Goose Green... I remember when there was a a proper shop in the centre that used to sell decent knives and a variety of out and about gear. Bet its long gone.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Take them to a couple of meets... throw them around the attendees and see what comes of it.

Interested though... you're from Wigan. What areas do you camp out? Spent a good few years in Wigan, a few over near Standish, some near Goose Green... I remember when there was a a proper shop in the centre that used to sell decent knives and a variety of out and about gear. Bet its long gone.
I don't camp out just like walking and cooking outdoors. I remember the shop you mention, can't remember the name but it sold airguns and knives etc .. or maybe you mean the outdoor shop opposite it ? Either way, the gunshop went over twenty years ago and the outdoor shop around a year ago. Now we have Go Outdoors ;)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Aye, I called at Go Outdoors when I jumped off a train to grab a few essentials... when I say essentials, I mean food and ciggies lol... can't survive in the Lakeland hills without food and ciggies!

That is the one though... they sold airguns, knives, a good range of other kit and my personal favourite at the time... American dogtags... they were the thing to wear in the late 80's for the fashion conscious male :D Was about the time a new shopping centre was built around the old market and the old camera shop moved further out of the centre. Wigan was a proper shopping experience back then... I should visit it again... see how it compares.

Plenty of spots to camp out up that way if you're brave... I used to do it all the time in my teens... had some great nights out.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Just googled it .. Oliver Sommers was the gun shop .. happy days buying pellets in the 70's for the Airsporter ! Camera shop was Wildings, now gone. In fact apart from the new faceless mall there's nothing worth visiting IMO.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Wildings!!! I worked there for month... learned about film... all irrelevant now of course.

Don't remember it as Somers, but I remember the shop... a proper shop. Embarrassing to admit, but I only went to Wigan at the time for balls of wool. I was that embarrassed at the time, I spent a tenner once on a bag to carry said wool so it wasn't obvious what I was buying.

Remember getting the train one day to Warrington, great shop... Whites. It's closed now, but that was a shop and a half as well... survived on the local market up until a couple of years ago when it finally closed and went online.

Doubt shops like that will ever return... shame really.... they made my wool trips worthwhile. Was the shop in Wigan that I bought my first knife. Hollow handled bowie-style knife... horrible thing that broke into two after a few weeks. The folding knife given to me for working on a farm (cutting baling string) was far better. Wigan used to have a decent Army and Navy store as well... ex-military gear... very tidy place albeit a bit expensive.

Still a good gun shop in Standish though... I bought my rifle from there.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Only thing to do now is pass the 3 knives to a dozen or so other carvers... see who likes what. Then post up the results. Job done :D

Don't think you'll get anyone to part with the Urban in Elmax. If, and it's a big if, you want a look, send me a PM. I only have my one, and it's been in my pocket since the postman dropped it off.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Army and Navy store went too I'm afraid. Yeah McAvoys is still going .. in fact they moved into the pub round the corner from their old shop. Guns and beer might not mix but I always worried about the old shop being next door to ... a bank ! :D Blackpool Air Rifles are great too if you are ever in that area.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The BB forum Urban was just fantastic which really shocked me. Maybe the blade is a little large but it sliced into the wood with virtually no effort at all. And it kept on cutting .. and cutting. In fact it was so good I did probably three quarters of the carving with it. At the end it was still shaving and needed no sharpening at all. That Elmax is good stuff !

I never thought I would say it but my new carving blade is a Spydie ... well until I get a cheap Mora ;) Anyone who has the BB knife should give it a go :)
I have one so I knew it was good.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE