Which canoe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hi All, just taking advantage of you paddlers on here please. You may (or may not!) recall I put up a post a month or so ago about getting a couple of inflatable kayaks (knock offs of Sevylor SVX 300). Well we got them, build seemed good- nice and rigid. 1st use no problem, 2nd use on a hot day and one popped a chamber.

Anyway, the went back and we got a refund. What to get next? We're a family of 5- 2 "stout" adults and a 10, 8 and 6 year old. We live near to a river system and to the sea. The coast where we live does NOT have monster waves but when we go elsewhere we do like to take the boats into surf (I popped a Hudson in 8' surf!) I've asked on a non bushy site where a canoe dealer hangs out and he recommends two sit ons, specifically a Wilderness Tarpon 130T Tandem over other boats/makes/models.

He does sell these but also the BICs and Corona etc. He reckons he could put an additional seat on one and they would be the best all-rounder.

I'm thinking that although a canadian type would definitely be best for 80% of our paddling they're a chocolate fireguard in surf.

A sit on? The model he reckons is best or another model? Any experience or ideas?

Or bite the bullet and get the full monty Sevylor Inflatable SVX500DS Whitewater Kayak (3 person) and the smaller SVX300?

Cost seems to be the same for all 3 options. If I get any rigid boat , I also need a £500 roof rack for my VW camper, but it's not about the money (well I'm tight really) I just want the right canoe for the job.

Ideas welcome!

darrenh

Apr 20, 2010
new forest
try song of the paddle they have reviews for every canoe possible!!!! there is a seveylor model called the tahiti ranger it has a second skin so all the better

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think you're right in forgetting an open, for the price you'd have to pay you could get something much better suited for playing in the surf.

Have a look at the Sevylor Colorado, it's basically an inflatable dingy with a canvas/nylon outer, it'd be plenty of fun in the sea and will see you right for tandem day paddles on rivers and lakes.

If you want all the gang out at the same time then it's a bit more tricky. Some of the bigger opens would probably squeeze you all in to one boat but never on the ocean.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Cheers Shewie. It was the Sevylor Hudson (a big Colorado) that I popped in the surf. If it is to be inflatable it will have to be a whitewater inflatable. I've posed the Q on SoTP and am leeching for ideas there! We accept we will have to get 2 boats. Thanks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you looked at the Gumotex boats ? When my Sevy died I nearly bought one before I went for the open. There's quite a few bloggs on SOTP about them and a lot of folk have good words to say about them. They are a bit on the pricey side but probably worth the investment.

revol

Jan 2, 2010
wales
I have the wilderness 100, great all round SOT, good for fishing and leisure, plenty of stowage for day trips as well, a little slow maybee and ok in light surf but does not handle moderate surf that well, the 130T may be better however due to the extra length.

A Gumotex Palava will suit all your open canoe needs seats 3 with the extra seat and is quite a bit of fun in the surf and good for WW upto grade, comes with a rucksack for storing and has a reasonably small packsize
if storage space is a worry in a small camper the gumotex twist 2 would be a good accompaniment as these are truly the lightest and most smallest packed canoes you can buy and will fit in hand luggage

expect to pay £500 for the palava delivered and about £275 for the twist 2

as mentioned the SOTP has plenty of reviews so dont just take the word of a retailer like me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE