How to Protect Rucksack from Baggage Handlers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearbait

Any ideas on protecting the semi-rigid hip belt / harness on some rucksacks from airport baggage handlers?

I'm concerned that the belt's attachment to my pack will get damaged when packed into the baggage trailers and then loaded into the hold, and will then become less supportive in use. The pack is too big to be used as my carry-on baggage and so has to go in the hold.

The only idea I've come up with so far is to strap it to a semi-rigid very lightweight barrel thing (perhaps inflatable? - but it may go "pop" as the air pressure drops!!!) and put the whole lot in an enveloping kitbag-like thing.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used a big 4oz nylon bag (with a single external tab (to take the travel label) and a fold down and tie fastening) that was big enough to also act as an emergency bivi bag, floatation bag ... or body bag if stuff really went wrong. Mine was home made but I am sure there will be something out there - even a survival bag taped closed would work if you had a way of securing the travel label...

Reactions: Toddy

Jay131

Nov 20, 2021
Aberdovey
If I understand your problem correctly (worried about the hips pads / waist belt catching on stuff?), I can tell you what I’ve done for years without problems;
I fasten the waist belt around the rucksack itself, folding the hips cushions the wrong way and adjusting the clip so it does up tightly on the front, base of the pack. I then secure the hip pads and belt with any other straps available on the rucksack.
I tighten my shoulder straps as much as they will do up, clip the chest strap and use any side compression straps to thread through the shoulder straps, pulling them towards the sides.
When it’s cocooned like this there’s not much more to wrong than a regular hold-all.
I’d used to tape my buckle clips and zip tie my zips as well but I’ve decided that people are too busy to start rummaging through my stinking rucksack!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Not only do you need a way to protect it in transit, but you need to be able to carry whatever it is around with you (or leave it somewhere) so you have it again for the return journey.

I was thinking you could make your "drum" from high density foam, harder than the stuff kip mapts are made of, they use it for packing machinery.

Many airports have pallet wrap stations for people to wrap awkward shaped luggage.

Some airlines have plastic tray/crate things specifically to take back packs. People fly with big packs all the time, so it isn't that new a thing for them to transport. While we are worried about damage to our gear, they don't want some wierd shape bag jamming all the conveyor system. Might be worth checking airport and airline info.

I too have used the big-lightweight-zip bag routine.

My packs do give me an advantage tough. My Kifaru Zulu belt was flexible enough that I could wrap it around the pack backwards. The shoulder straps had release points and could be rolled up and shoved under the top lid. I haven't travelled with my Hill People Gear as hold luggage, but it too has removable shoulder straps, and both the HPG and Kifaru have removable hip belts. These factors were some of the things I considered when buying into these systems.

Best of luck, sorry couldn't be more help.

Chris

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Depending on your hip belt you can either fold it back around the backpack itself and fasten it together around that, or lengthen the straps and fasten around the handle/ hauling loop at the top of the back. I usually have a large nylon bag or old dry bag to put it in at check-in. I’ve had one little hole from what looked like friction on backpack once, so am trying to avoid that happening again. If you don’t have an outer bag, try using some luggage straps to keep everything in place.

i used to fold it backwards and buckle it in place and either put the whole backpack into a large bag (similar material to what plastic tarps made from, available in hardware stores etc for transporting leaves) or a plastic tarp. unless a clown at a south korean airport decides to rip a hole in it (to attach sime silly electronic "padlock" after landing (because of my knife, happened twice...)) it worked so far...

rarms

Aug 6, 2017
Littlehampton, West Sussex
If I understand your problem correctly (worried about the hips pads / waist belt catching on stuff?), I can tell you what I’ve done for years without problems;
I fasten the waist belt around the rucksack itself, folding the hips cushions the wrong way and adjusting the clip so it does up tightly on the front, base of the pack. I then secure the hip pads and belt with any other straps available on the rucksack.
I tighten my shoulder straps as much as they will do up, clip the chest strap and use any side compression straps to thread through the shoulder straps, pulling them towards the sides.
When it’s cocooned like this there’s not much more to wrong than a regular hold-all.
I’d used to tape my buckle clips and zip tie my zips as well but I’ve decided that people are too busy to start rummaging through my stinking rucksack!
This is what I do with mine, fold then back over the bag itself

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I used to roll mine up in a single size mattress bag and tape it closed. They are very heavy duty plastic & pretty tough , especially when you’ve got a couple of layers wrapped round. Free and easily replaceable too.

Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE