Which bird call sounds like this:

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
"Quick Now, quick now"

I read somewhere about a bird which, when you listen to it sounds like the above. I have a feeling its some type of quail, or maybe a winter bird.

Any ideas what it is?

Thanks

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Thanks for the input, guys. I haven't heard the bird. I read it somewhere. I'm working on a book (fiction), where it's mentioned. Actually, it doesn't matter if I know or not, as the character doesn't know. He just hears it, and hears the words in the call.
But it's just one of those things that's niggling me. I wish I could remember which bird makes a call which sounds like that. I think it may be some kind of grouse. I don't know.

I got the idea for the scene from a documentary by Robert Perkins (Talking to Angels) - he was in the arctic, in a canoe, no one for hundreds, maybe thousands, of miles. He had gone into the wilderness to come to terms with a past where he was hospitalised for hearing voices (the angels in the title), and his wife's cancer, And there was this one scene where he was in his canoe, water slopping at its side, the evening still, and he turned the camera on himself. "Is it me," he said (or something along those lines), "or are those birds calling my name?" What first seemed a screech off in the distance, soon became recognizable as "Robert...Robert". Of course, they weren't calling out "Robert," but I have to say, listening to it, iI could feel the hairs on my neck stand on end.

But anyway, as I said, thanks for the input. I'll let you know if I ever track it down.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
To me your description sounds like a. Great Tit, I always liken it to the squeek that a rusty fence wire makes when you step on it and it runs against the staples on fence posts. If you have seen the bird, a Great Tit, has an undulating flight, and is recogniseable by its white cheeks and it is smaller than a sparrow, body is greenish and head black.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Great tit - I kind of know that. All the common birds, while I could't differentiate, I'm kind of used to. This, I'm sure was something bigger. I wish I could remember where I read it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE