Which bike shall I go for??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I know that this will probably be scoffed at by riders of conventional bikes , but as my mod 2 test looms closer the search for a bike is picking up pace. After a recent trip to Italy where I saw lots of these, I've been reading up on the Suzuki Burgman 650 , and so far about 98% of what I've read has been positive.
does anyone here have experience of these bikes or an opinion poz or neg I'd like hear them!
many thanks
Roly

Yup - had one for a couple of years. And they are brilliant bikes, although looked down on by some wot dont no! very comfortable, very economical - 55+mpg - will cruise at 90-100 all day, and handle way better than anyone who first rides one expects! Huge internal storage - 55litres, taking two full-face helmets with ease. I fitted a givi topbox and backrest to mine - another 52 litres and comfy for wife - only my 1500 Goldwing and Royal Star Venture were more comfortable for pillions, and that was a close-run thing. Add in the three "glove boxes" and you're looking at storage approaching that of a goldwing. Want more? throwover panniers will provide it, and you can also get bags that fit into the "stepthrough" section.

The auto gearbox makes cruising effortless, and after a quick play with the manual buttons and "power" mode, tended to ignore them.
Reliability? Probably as good as anything out there, and way better than most. One insane Aussie did a round-the-world trip on one - including the Road of Bones that defeated Charlie Borman and Euan Mcgregor - with no problems (like the broken subframes on the BMW GS1150s for example!) He apparently blew up the engine after 90,000+ miles doing something idiotic in the Outback.

The only model that has had some problems was the very first year - 2003. Other than that they've been pretty much faultless. I had the 2003 version cos it was really cheap!, and the only problem I has with it in 10000 miles was the parking brake, which was seized when I got it, and seized when I sold it - didn't really need it. The wheels are prone to getting a bit scruffy, but then so were those on my Goldwing.

They are deceptively quick - I had to keep checking the speedo to make sure that I hadn't crept way over the limits, particularly on the motorway. I also got a higher Givi screen for it which cured a bit of buffeting I got from the standard one.

In short? A brilliant bike, particularly if you don't need something that'll do 150mph or more - and frankly, who really does? This will lcruise fully-loaded at 100, which is good enough for me.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Thanks for that Andy, you seem to be yet another very happy owner,haven't yet found an unhappy owner apart from a couple of people on the web that seemed to buy one as a novelty when they really wanted a conventional bike so would of picked fault even with 100% cash back !!!

hairyhippy

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2009
Notts
BMW GS. I ride an 1150 GSA and it is wonderful. It will do evrything you want.

If funds are limited get the 1100. If you are flush go for one of the 1200s.

Shaft drive is fantastic. Servicing is reasonable - there are loads of good independents out there.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Versys would be a good option, Transalp too. Many people seem to conflate the need for big cc and weight with tourer which isn't necessarily the case at all. I have had far more fun travelling on smaller bikes than large but don't worry about it. I would also put in a good word for the aircooled Beemers, though they are getting on a bit now. Always fancied the non UK market R65GS myself, but have had many happy years on an R100S.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
As Andy says you might well find the Burgman suits you. Not too heavy, plenty of power, great storage space. Forget the Suzuki SV, that's no use at all for your requirements. (I have one so I speak from experience). I also have a Yamaha FJR and I'm slightly surprised that nobody else has mentioned it. Ranks alongside the Pan for size, weight and comfort but I much prefer the engine. The high-speed handling is pretty cr@p on standard suspension but I am comparing that with my Hayabusa. You don't want one of those either. :)

All things considered I think the 900 Diversion is, for you, the one must-see that has been mentioned in this thread so far. I've done quite a few miles on a couple of them, and I think I've never felt safer on a bike. Perhaps just a touch small for my ideal tourer but as others have said I don't think you would be well advised to go from a 125 to a heavy 1300 or a 1500 in one step.

As for the 'Wings, I hate them. My first reaction on driving one was "Get me off this now!". To me the things seem to oversteer something appalling, and AFAICT their owners are unable to see it. Add that to a fuel consumption similar to what I get from my 4.7 litre V8 Jeep and I'm afraid I could never recommend one to anybody.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
In defense of the wings, my 1500 averaged around 40mpg - the 1800s are a bit better. (you must have a remarkable V8 jeep, Ged!) They are no Fireblade in the handling dept, thats true, but do the job fine if you treat it sensibly, and not a track-day bike. Takes a bit of getting used to - a bit like the front suspension on BMWs - but well worth the effort. It carries its considerable weight pretty low courtesy of the flat-4/6 engine layout, and is nowhere as top-heavy feeling as many big bikes (the BMW K1100LT and Royal Star Venture being two I can speak of with some confidence!) And very reliable - just look at the mileage these things regularly knock up, compared to the sports bikes and their 4ooomile annual average (which also includes 2 new rear tyres and an osteopath bill:) )

Unless your pillion enjoys this (on second thoughts, probably not appropriate - pm me for a fun picture my wife took on the road near a US biker week if you want a giggle..) she will love the pillion on a goldwing - there are none better. My wife regularly fell asleep on it!)

Having said all that, a Diversion 900 is a very good, cheap option. Shaft drive, reasonable economy, phenomenally reliable, superb owners club. Handling nothing to write home about, but adequate and fit for the touring purpose.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In defense of the wings, my 1500 averaged around 40mpg - the 1800s are a bit better. (you must have a remarkable V8 jeep, Ged!)

I'm only slightly surprised by your 40mpg, as I take you for as sane an individual as one might find on this possibly-not-very-representative-of-mankind forum. But most foks I've heard have been talking of figures nearer 30, sometimes less. Granted I can do that on either of my 1300s but it makes for an exciting ride. :)

As for the Jeep, well modesty forbids but here's the consumption on a trip to a marina in France for my brother-in-law:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf3557.jpg

This is the mileage:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf3560.jpg

And I was towing this boat:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf3490.jpg

...compared to the sports bikes and their 4ooomile annual average ...

According to my local dealer it's more likely 400 miles!

Unless your pillion enjoys this (on second thoughts, probably not appropriate - pm me for a fun picture my wife took on the road near a US biker week if you want a giggle..)

Post it!

she will love the pillion on a goldwing - there are none better. My wife regularly fell asleep on it!)

A friend of mine sometimes tours with us on his Blackbird. Another friend's wife says she sometimes falls asleep on the back of that! He does have a top box on it though. She doesn't like riding pillion on her husband's bike, it's a 'Blade, so no top box. :(

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
..and that was by no means the most extreme sight spotted that day. The one pictured was positively lithe compared to most.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Well , firstly thanks for all the comments and advice , glad to see there are so many bikers on here . Finally pass mod 2 last month and after lots of eBay trawling i was bracing myself for a long distance trip to pick up a bike when a guy up the road offered me a mint condition Triumph Trophy 900 , so I took his arm off. Absolutely love it just wish the weather would give me a break it seems to have rained non stop since I bought it !!!!
Cheers again everyone , Roly

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Well done, and good catch on that bike. Sorry about the weather, that would be my fault for getting the FJR out again. :umbrella::umbrella::umbrella::umbrella:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Nice catch on the Trophy. Many reckon the 900 is a better bike than the 1200 - smoother and much more economical.

get a scottolier or similar for it though - will save you tons of hassle adjusting the chain so frequently, and the chain and sprockets will last much longer too.

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
Nice work - shame about the weather eh? I collected a new R1200 GS Adventure in April and have only put a few hundred miles on it - no fun riding in the rain!

Next thing - get yourself booked onto a Bikesafe course - cost peanuts and it will move your riding on hugely.

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
ive a harley fxdbi bought in 06 been all over on it my misses says its the most comfy bike as a pillion put forwards on so its nice for me on long trips

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I’ve been having an affair with my GS Adv for two years now and I’m still very much in love. It’s done everything I’ve asked of it, from camping in the lakes to a blast over the Alps to Slovenia. I’m 6’4” and went from a 50cc at 16 to a 1200cc at 43 with nothing in-between.

Nov 1, 2012
Edinburgh
I love my SV and as a first big bike/do it all machine it's hard to beat but if your wanting to carry a pillion the best suggestion I have is a Kawasaki ZRX 1200. It has a low centre of gravity and not much plastic. It has an upright seating position like most learner bikes. You can get pannier racks and sport racks from Ventura for it. You get to pretend your Eddie Lawsen which is the best selling point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE