Which bike shall I go for??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
I about to take the first part of the direct access bike test on April 13th , yes it's a Friday, anyway I'm trying to decide what kind of bike to go for bearing in mind carrying bushcraft kit. I fancy something that comfy for a guy that's six foot plus, maybe an older goldwing , pan European , older BMW. Sports bikes don't float my boat at all!!
Whatever I pick it also has to be comfy for my wife as pillion.
Any suggestions or recommendations?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
One of the magazines claimed the Varadero was a good used buy - it never got near the popularity of the BMW adventure bikes, though apparently it's a competent machine, if a little thirsty. The used prices do indeed look quite low for what you get.

I'm looking around for a bike myself just now, and like yourself, I don't want a sportsbike. I've got an ex-army Harley MT350 which is most enjoyable, but being 17 years old, not as reliable as I would like. Of course, for reliability it's hard to beat a Honda.

Good luck with the test!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Goldwing 1500 - as long as its got decent service record these are pretty much the perfect mrs and kit hauler! Despite the weight, much of it is carried low down, so not too bad to manage, and of course the reverse gear comes in handy. Wife still wants me to get another one - the ultimate accolade for comfort! (Actually she used to fall asleep on it....)

I also have had a couple of BMW K1100LTs. Don't worry about the mileage on them - they go on for ever. Get an ex-police bike for £2000 or so- they normally come with full service history. Only problems that are common to them is left-hand heated grip and abs sensors. The top box with backrest is comfy for the pillion, but adds an awful lot of weight high up as it seems to be made out of lead and armour plate!- you can get much more stuff on it without it and the bike handles better. Its also very economical for a big bike - I was getting over 50mpg on fast (100mph+)runs down the autobahn and autoroutes.

The Yamaha XJ900 has a remarkable history of going on for ever too - uber-reliable - and has the all-important shaft drive too. Lots around as well. Again, £2000 should get you a decent one - 97 or later.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I ride on a Kawasaki versys 650 and I have to say I think it's great. good upright position means you can see over most cars, great turn of speed, not to thirsty and looks great fully loaded and not to bad to insure and tax

Orric

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Your best bet is to get to as many dealers as you can and ride as many bikes as you can to see what feels best for you.

As an example i took a mates Goldwing out (he worked on the rigs so wanted his bikes taken on a decent run every now and again) and i had to swap backs after 45 mins, my back was killing me.
Pretty much the second most uncomfortable bike i've ever ridden (first was one of these chopper things).

Likewise although the Varadero was fantastic around town, as soon as i started on higher speed roads the wind from the speed i was travelling would push me back, again giving back pain.

For me i prefer more of a leaning slightly forward seating position when riding, as at anything over 50mph you become buoyant with the wind hitting your chest.
With my CBR i tried various screens till i found one that meant at 80mph the wind speed took my body weight, it was the most comfortable bike i've ridden.

So it's imperative that you find a type of bike that works for you and the type of riding you do, the ONLY way you can do that is by test riding the hell out of as many bikes as you can.

Only other advice i can give is for your first bike try and get something with as little plastic as possible and something light enough that you can pick it yourself (when it falls over), as you WILL drop it.

A Goldwing for a first bike is pretty much the worst "advice" i've read or heard in 30 years of riding motorbikes.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Thanks for the advice everyone ,I'll take it all on board and use it providing the test goes ok. Hoping to go to the moot on the bike whatever it may be. Looking forward to being able to carry a bit more kit than I could on my 125 .
Cheers , Roly

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Raises more questions than answers really.

How much cash are you willing to spend ?

Are you happy doing your own maintenance ?

How far off the beaten track are you likely to go ?

Will you be doing any off road work ?

Pillion ?

Luggage ?

What sort of style/speed/size are you after ?

At the end of all that most bikes will do most things, but Goldwings will be crap offroad, XT600s will not corner too well on knobblies. My best slow speed tourer is an old MZ two stroke. If I want to tour fast I take an old BMW, if I want to play off road much I take an XT600 Tenere.

Enjoy.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
What is your riding experience? Have you been riding smaller motorcycles for years and are just doing your direct access now or will April be the start of your riding?

Last edited:

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Raises more questions than answers really.

How much cash are you willing to spend ?

Are you happy doing your own maintenance ?

How far off the beaten track are you likely to go ?

Will you be doing any off road work ?

Pillion ?

Luggage ?

What sort of style/speed/size are you after ?

good questions here and ones i would ask. Ive got over 33 years continuous riding experience and owned everything from MZ's to Harleys. They are all fun but if you want to use it as a workhorse then addressing some of the points raised will get you more accurate advice.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
............A Goldwing for a first bike is pretty much the worst "advice" i've read or heard in 30 years of riding motorbikes.

Ah - a mere youngster - I've been riding for 40 years:)

As to the worst advice ever - :) The original question was raised by a guy 6ft+, looking for a big load carrying bike that would be comfy for his wife as pillion. He specifically mentioned an older Goldwing, Pan, etc. I was merely commenting from personal experince about living with similar bikes. If he'd have asked about a dirt-bike, or sportsbike, I'd have commented on those, but he didn't! Similarly, an MZ - a personal favourite of mine by the way and I still have a couple in various stages of disrepair - didn't fit the criteria.... As to "test-riding the hell out of as many bikes as you can" - erm - good way to become an accident statistic!

Physically, there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to handle a Goldwing, or Pan, or K1100LT, particularly if he takes time to get used to the beastie - which doesn't include riding the hell out of it:) So what therefore is the point on starting with a smaller bike that doesn't meet his needs?

Final point - whilst acknowledging that you found the Goldwing uncomfortable, you are in a huge minority (actually the only one I have ever heard criticising the comfort of a Goldwing)! As far as the others are concerned, the BMW K1100Lt was a favourite ride - and frequent winner - of the US Ironbutt rallies (1000 miles in 24 hours).

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
How did it go Roly? I used to have a GL1100 plain Jane that I really enjoyed. I keep thinking about another bike....

In regar to Roly having a big bike to start with, he'll be ok, I did my test on a honda 450 and went straight to the GL1100 after that one, no problem at all, although I admit the GL1500 is a bit bigger :)

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
For me i prefer more of a leaning slightly forward seating position when riding, as at anything over 50mph you become buoyant with the wind hitting your chest.
With my CBR i tried various screens till i found one that meant at 80mph the wind speed took my body weight, it was the most comfortable bike i've ridden.

I'm another who finds sportsbikes comfier than roadbikes. Tourers do my back in and cruisers are unbearable, the base of my spine is aching by the first pitstop and there's no getting used to it.
It's my backs fault, not the bikes. I know that and a lot of car seats set it off too.
It's a fine line though. Too much traffic and the wrists start taking the strain.

Think the comfiest bike I've ridden was a Fazer 600. It just felt right from the off and the longer I rode it the more I respected it.
Not the bike for me, I'm too used to full fairings and missed the weather protection on my legs. Too used to sporty front ends too.
Sure did fit me though.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Ah - a mere youngster - I've been riding for 40 years:)

As to the worst advice ever - :) The original question was raised by a guy 6ft+, looking for a big load carrying bike that would be comfy for his wife as pillion. He specifically mentioned an older Goldwing, Pan, etc. I was merely commenting from personal experince about living with similar bikes. If he'd have asked about a dirt-bike, or sportsbike, I'd have commented on those, but he didn't! Similarly, an MZ - a personal favourite of mine by the way and I still have a couple in various stages of disrepair - didn't fit the criteria.... As to "test-riding the hell out of as many bikes as you can" - erm - good way to become an accident statistic!

Physically, there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to handle a Goldwing, or Pan, or K1100LT, particularly if he takes time to get used to the beastie - which doesn't include riding the hell out of it:) So what therefore is the point on starting with a smaller bike that doesn't meet his needs?

Final point - whilst acknowledging that you found the Goldwing uncomfortable, you are in a huge minority (actually the only one I have ever heard criticising the comfort of a Goldwing)! As far as the others are concerned, the BMW K1100Lt was a favourite ride - and frequent winner - of the US Ironbutt rallies (1000 miles in 24 hours).

:eek: I was only 2 years old when you started riding, don't think i'd even progressed to pushbikes by then, so i concede to you on being old errrrrrr i mean more experienced :p

Still though, i have had only a motorbike as my only mode of transport for many many years, so no garage queens here, plus i've owned and regularly ridden at least 1 bike since i was 14, so although you have me licked on years i still have a fair few miles under my belt and have ridden pretty much every major bike that's been released since the 70's.

The problem i have with your advice was that:
a/ A Goldwing is a big heavy bike to learn how to ride on
b/ It's covered in expensive plastic so WHEN it does go down it'll be expensive
c/ It might have a low cg when empty, stick a pillion on the back, fill the panniers and the fuel tank and it's a right bus to ride even for experienced riders
d/ It's heavy, so it's bad enough the first time you drop a bike over without having to ask a local rugby team to come and help you put the beached whale back on it's wheels
e/ For many non wingdingers it's one of the most uncomfortable bikes we've ridden.
In my experience if you've ridden varied bikes previously it tends to be difficult to get on with the wings seating style.

As i say bike buyer should be fun, the op needs to find what works for him, the ONLY way he can do that is by going out and test riding as many bikes as possible.
It's only with bums on seats that he will learn what feels right for him, once he has found a style of bike then we can narrow down a short list of the usual suspects to test drive.

To be honest you can adapt pretty much any bike for any task, i've toured Europe on bikes from RD350LC's and RG500's through to Busa's and sportsbikes and they all got the job done to varying levels of satisfaction.

We have done Greece to the UK and back several times on my old CBR600, one time requiring a quick return to Greece meant we did UK to Ancona only stopping to fill up the tank.
Sure we were knackered, but then we were the times we've done the same journey in the same time in cars.

The point is you don't NEED a big heavy tourer to tour on, it's really about individual taste and what feels right to ride for each user.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
If I was looking for a good all rounder I'd look at Honda, perhaps the Africa twin/ XL 500/XL650 or similar. I'd also look closely at older 'airhead' BMW R 80RT or R 100RT and not forgetting the wonderful GS model:cool: which is now a design classic. Nearly all spares are available from folk such as Motobins or similar companies. These old BMW bikes are renowned for their reliability, ease of servicing in the field and there is a lot of interchangeability between the models.
Another little gem is the Suzuki DR 350. Keep away from the Armstrong MT 500! You will develop one oversized leg trying to start this......:(
Me, I'd like a Norton Commando.....with good brakes! Just for fun.
I'd like to say that you should be looking for a 'grin factor' of at least 10!
Swyn.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Thanks again for the response , to answer a few questions . I've been on two wheels for twelve months now , riding a Honda shadow 125 , really love the laid back riding position. Other than that a bit of dirtbike riding , field bikes etc. I'd be looking to spend up to 3 grand . The reason for not being keen on sports bikes is every time I've ridden one I got cramp , just find them uncomfortable for lengthy rides but that's just me. Also I don't mind wielding a spanner to repair something but I draw the line at plugging in a lap top to find out what's wrong hense some of the bikes I've looked at are not what you'd call state of the art tech wise, I'm just after something that will eat the miles , be comfy for us both, be able to carry my kit to meets , mostly Tarmac no off road to really talk of , I'm not intending to ride the Road of Bones .
I didn't expect this much feedback , cheers
Roly

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Getting a huge bike initially would be madness... Sure a pan European has a nice easy riding manner but if you have no big bike experience, a very low speed spill may well catch you out. Something like someone changes their mind pulling out from a junction and you brake hard and the weight and size catch you out... A zero mph spill occurs and cracks lots of plastic. I am not saying its going to happen but going from a 125 to a 1100 tourer is a bad bad bad idea.

Bikes like the Africa twins and triumphs tigers are ok if you are over 6 foot tall from experience, I am 5'10" and they're tall.

Personally I would opt for something like a Suzuki sv 1000... Still fun when you want it, decent power but not crazy and very easy to ride. Great value for money.

Vfr 750 / 800 is also comfy and generally great.

If you wanted a shaft drive, I would go for a 900cc yamaha diversion.

Givi panniers should work well on both bikes.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I'd put either a 600 or 1200 Suzuki Bandit on your list.

There is the Suzuki SV might be a big small though certainly worth looking at.

Others that spring to mind are:
Kawasaki Z1100
Yamaha Fazer

Personally although i do own several carb'd bikes i only ride fuel injected bikes regularly.
Next time i start the CBX you are welcome to come and help as cleaning all the carbs out on a 6 cylinder bike is an absolute nightmare.

So fuel injection really is the way to go, and to be honest there are not really much gains to be had buy tweaking the factory tuning anyways,
You can tune out a few flat spots, but they still run great without needing to plug in your laptop.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
I know that this will probably be scoffed at by riders of conventional bikes , but as my mod 2 test looms closer the search for a bike is picking up pace. After a recent trip to Italy where I saw lots of these, I've been reading up on the Suzuki Burgman 650 , and so far about 98% of what I've read has been positive.
does anyone here have experience of these bikes or an opinion poz or neg I'd like hear them!
many thanks
Roly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE