Which are the best woods to use for a bowdrill set up???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Hi fellas,
I am guessing this thread has been done before but for the life of me I cant seem to find it.
Any suggestions on the best uk wood types to use in a bowdrill kit. Or even a link to a previous thread.
I have managed to get good results with willow but as of yet havnt tried any other woods.
Thanks in advance:)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It depends if you are foraging the set in the woods to use on the same day or you spend a bit of time gathering the parts.

My favourite combo is an Alder or Ivy drill and an Ivy hearth. Ivy is a little harder to find dry and also to process into the parts. Sycamore on Sycamore is close pegging second.

For use on the day of collecting, I'd go for sycamore on sycamore or Hazel into Pine if possible.

I find willow glazes quite readily.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
It always amazing how everybody's experiences can differ so widely. I have done zero to fire from a slow bimble round local woods and it can take less than an hour. When I do that I almost always choose willow on willow. It may be that other woods would be easier, but we tend to use what we have experience with probably because of the confidence it fosters. I'll have to experiment more.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I generally use hazel on hazel, collected and dried before I use it.

I do a fair bit of demonstration stuff involving audience participation so I need a good supply of drills and hearths.

To illustrate the point to beginners about the wood types, my main demo set is actually pine broom handle on old pine pallet; works a treat every time.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
Stringmaker, that's really interesting - I've always fought shy of pine because of the resin and the polishing. Goes to show, I should definitely be more experimental.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Stringmaker, that's really interesting - I've always fought shy of pine because of the resin and the polishing. Goes to show, I should definitely be more experimental.

The sticky pine should definitely be avoided; you get evaporation cooling of the set when you try and use it as the resin comes off.

The broom handle/pallet combination is bone dry which is why it works.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I always use the same wood for hearth and drill. Easy woods in my experience are white willow, alder and poplar. Goat willow is doable. I found elder and maple very difficult to get an ember from. Good luck!

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I seem to be able to get an ember really quickly using a willow drill and a sycamore hearth.
I havnt had much sucess with ivy yet though.

Dead standing wood works best, degraded to the point where it has little bark but still relatively hard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE