Which 80+L packpack?

D

dakrido

Hi all,
I'll be going on a long trip in the far east, and will have to take a max of things with me.
walking distances won't be too long, but the pack will be my "home" for a few years, so has to be XXL and top quality.
I'm doubting between a Berghaus and a Karrimor.
I currently live in France, and both aren't really available here in shops, so I can't try neither one.
I would go for the Karrimor, because of the volume, yet I've heard that the system used to adjust the length doesn't seem that strong. If that breaks, you're backpack is gone.....

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Karrimor Sabre 75 + side pouches... a bit on the "strappy side" but insanely comfy and 90L of well supported large load.

Had mine a while and I'll need a very compelling reason to change it. superb build quality.

EdS

new Karrimor are now cheap nasty sacs. Nothing like they used to be.

There are a number of gear companies based in France - might be easier to try one of their travel/trekking sacs. Fit is very important as cheap sac that fits is better than a top of teh range sac that is does not fit.

D

dakrido

Sabre sacs are the models retained from the selling out of the karrimor name,so no worries.

I thought Sabre and Karrimor were the same thing.... (Sabre being a certain Karrimor bag...)

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Berghaus Vulcan with CyclopsII back system.

I have tried loads of sacks and this is the one for me. A lovely piece of kit.

You might also look at the Arktis bergens. I have not tried them myself but the PLCE side pockets are fab.

LBL

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Berghaus Vulcan with CyclopsII back system.

One more for the Berghaus Vulcan.
Much sturdier than the Sabre, making it a lot better to carry heavy loads.
And with no "moving parts", it's as close to unbreakable as you can get it.
Mine's been around the world in all conditions from deserts to swamps to arctic cold, and after 15 years of hard use it's only now starting to show some wear.

Of course, if you want to carry REALLY heavy, you should go for an external frame pack.
But they've got their drawbacks when being transported with planes/buses/cars/trains...

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Neither of the two mentioned on my behalf.

I have tryed them both, and neither of them works for me.

I too am a bit of a "heavy-loader", since i need to carry my own stuff, food for a couple weeks, instructorskit of varying contents, all the little gadgets you might just need and much much more. Not to mention plenty of water, as we haven't got that many "refueling" posibilities here ind Denmark, without having to worry about nasty bugs the filter won't filter.

Having tryed somewhat 8-10 different sacks, all containing 90+ litres, i do believe i have found one of the better sacks available on the market at last.

http://www.norrona.com/web/homepage.nsf/web/index.html

Norrøna Recon pack. A framed pack containing 125 litres including detachable sidepockets. (25 litres.)
They have changed the model a bit over the past 3 years (since i bought mine)
However it seems they have made it a bit more civilized.
The one i am using is the military version all the way through, including radio-mountingbase inside the sack, camelback pocketS, and much more.

I have had anything in it, aswell as mounted on the frame itself, all the way up to somewhere around 80 kg. of gear, and i can honestly say it is the best pack i have ever had on my back, even with such a load in it.

Only one issue on my now obsolete version of it:
The fixing of the shoulderharness sideways, (it is fixed together with the backingpanel around the frame with a threaded doublehook, so you can screw it on tighter or looser at your wish) allways works its way to the left on the frame, as i usually lift it in the left shoulderpiece when i sling it on.
Easily solved though, i just put on an ekstra threaded doublehook, and fixed it on both sides, instead of to itself.

If anyone wishes, i could take pictures of my pack, however i do believe there is a bit of a difference between my actual pack, and the 3 years newer version.

Worth to look at at least, def. recomendable

D

dakrido

hi there,
i had a look at the norrona site, which doesn't look bad at all, however, I can't find any reviews...

as far as Berghaus is concerned, i saw the vulcan's fabric is ardura 1000D
karrimor too uses 'a' 1000 denier nylon fabric
the fabric used for norrona is Dupont Cordura PA

can anyone tell me the difference?

I personally like the feel of the heavier fabric, used on the older military bags, but have no clue how that's called...

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
The norrona is a heavyweight tightly woven rather coarse military-grade fabric. Or at least it WAS just that 3 years ago. How it is now, i can not tell you. I have had knifesheatsh gone missing, and the knife itself rubbing against it (obviously NOT with the sharp edge) without any amrks on it.
Even sledded downhill once or twice on the rucksack. Still no marks.

The berghaus i find a bit to "lightweight", but i would think it will stand up to any abuse, just as the Norrona would.

The karrimor i have a strong dislike for, however the fabric will probably be good enough for any of us.

The norrona is however the only rucksack of the three i have had long enough to make toughness recomandations on. And it will stand up to just about anything you can possibly put it through.

About reviews i can't help you. I bought mine almost blindfolded, and with a defined area of usage: The army, and obviously what all you guys do aswell.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Its funny how ideas change over time, or go full circle, got two Ray Mears books here. The first (published 1990) says: choose a sack with an internal frame which will conform to the shape of your back. This is more comfortable and conveinient than an external frame. The second book, (published 2002) says: Most rucksacks today have internal frames, which make them more compact. However this may cause your back to sweat, chafe and become sore, particularly in the tropics. For that reason, many people still use external-frame rucksacks in wilderness. I guess i remember external framed packs as the awful things i had as a kid, and then later, the joy, and comfort, when i bought my first ever cyclops roc and then my beloved tho long departed alpiniste 65 (i found an identical one on ebay recently tho, so the love affair resumes once more) :)

D

dakrido

Been surfing all night, and I think i'll be going for a Lowe Alpine Saracen, used by our Dutch special forces.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Karrimor SF are separate from Karrimor, the brand is owned by Police Resources International. Sabre is a bag name from Karrimor SF.
Karrimor SF certainly aren't cheap nasty bags. ;)

Indeed. PRI license the Karrimor name. Though why they continue todo this is abit of a mystery considering how the brand has been so devalued.

See small print on http://www.pri.uk.com/ksf/sabre75.html

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Norrona: There are 5 reviews of the Recon Pack on trailspace.com
Lowe Alpine: Imho the carrying system is not comfortable and the quality is medium.

It is a question of money. I personally agree with DKW. If you can afford it, go for a top quality backpack: Norrona, Kifaru, MysteryRanch;
My choice is a MysteryRanch backpack (and I found the NICE Frame to be a good answer to the old internal/external question). But it is difficult to try Kifaru and MysteryRanch backpacks here in Europe (direct sellers located in the US). Norrona is a good choice.

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
personaly when I need a large sack I use an ex-service 58 pattern large pack (the big 100L type) but it does lack a frame but they are cheep (and anyone with a little DIY skills can knock up a frame for one). I've been told that the old paratrooper bag (if you can find it) it a good cheep buy. as for the newer civilan style packs I can't say I've had much experience with them myself. my best advice is to see if the store will let you try out a pack in the store for comfort before buying it, it's also worth examining the seams and zips if they appear cheep or weak then don't buy them I've seen otherwise good packs ruined simply because the zips weren't strong enough for serious work

EdS

Indeed. PRI license the Karrimor name. Though why they continue todo this is abit of a mystery considering how the brand has been so devalued.

See small print on http://www.pri.uk.com/ksf/sabre75.html

PRI do not own the rights etc as they are only a licensee

From Karrimor themselves:

For all Military Product enquiries contact Karrimor's Global Military Licensee:pRI

Tel: +44 (0) 1392 464 100 or contact your Regional Distributor

http://www.karrimor.com/contacts.htm

Got a feeling that they are still made out in the east - could be wrong though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE