Which 4 Season Sleeping Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 11, 2006
Lancashire
I went camping over the weekend and my Ajungilak Kompact Twin (3 season) didnt keep me as warm as I was expecting even though it has a -5 comfort rating. Admittidly it is about 12 years old so perhaps its had its day.

What would people here recommend Id get for say £100 - £120? Could I pick up a synthetic 4 season for this price?

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I went camping over the weekend and my Ajungilak Kompact Twin (3 season) didnt keep me as warm as I was expecting even though it has a -5 comfort rating. Admittidly it is about 12 years old so perhaps its had its day.

What would people here recommend Id get for say £100 - £120? Could I pick up a synthetic 4 season for this price?

Get the new army issue of the bay.

Bernie

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
You seem to be favouring synthetic, so my usual recommendation of "look at the Alpkit offerings" doesn't apply. Nanok bags seem to be universally well thought of, if a little on the heavy side, but they're getting harder to find. I'd personally not consider Snugpak bags.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
seen that, little bit pricey LOL. what do you hammock guys normally use when using bag

Well I've got Group Buy quilt now but previouly used a square ( non hooded ) bag rotated 90 degrees so the zip was ontop, on colder days with a Buff worrn around my neck and a beanie hat, though 2 wool army "headovers" would probably do as well and can be got very cheaply.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Well I've got Group Buy quilt now but previouly used a square ( non hooded ) bag rotated 90 degrees so the zip was ontop, on colder days with a Buff worrn around my neck and a beanie hat, though 2 wool army "headovers" would probably do as well and can be got very cheaply.

genius, i bet you got that idea from the movie "contact" a mars bar to whoever gets the link :p

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
genius, i bet you got that idea from the movie "contact" a mars bar to whoever gets the link :p

The genius bit comes in a slight modification to the bag.

To lessen the dead air space the quick way is to tie off the 2 foot"wings" with a bit of cord, the better way is to try that a few time, work out how much space suits you, add a little more then mark off the line, push the "wings" inwards and add a couple of zips to the outside of the bag.
This produces a little bit of extra insulation at the foot end and helps you feel better about carrying the extra few grams of unused insulation that previously had been tied off.

Contact? would that be the film with Jodie Foster, the link being, sharing a sleeping bag with Ms Foster would be an even better way to keep warm :D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
seen that, little bit pricey LOL. what do you hammock guys normally use when using bag

I use a nice cheap British Army issue dossbag with a center zip, yes they are bulky but that doesn't bother me! its a 4 season bag that cost me nothing (I liberated it when I left the Army!;) ) but you could probably get one for £30.
It all depends if your a lightweight camper or not.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
The genius bit comes in a slight modification to the bag.

To lessen the dead air space the quick way is to tie off the 2 foot"wings" with a bit of cord, the better way is to try that a few time, work out how much space suits you, add a little more then mark off the line, push the "wings" inwards and add a couple of zips to the outside of the bag.
This produces a little bit of extra insulation at the foot end and helps you feel better about carrying the extra few grams of unused insulation that previously had been tied off.

Contact? would that be the film with Jodie Foster, the link being, sharing a sleeping bag with Ms Foster would be an even better way to keep warm :D

cheers :) i think i will hold fire on getting the new bag and dig out the one i used when i camped out at my grandparents, in the scary livingroom LOL

Jodie Foster, hrmmmm nah LOL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE