Where to go

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1784police

May 31, 2005
Hornsea, East yorkshire
This is a bit embarrassing, but I don't know where we can go to practice being out in the country without being bothered. Am I right in saying that there is a right to roam and camp anywhere in Scotland?

Does anyone have any tips about camping in UK, lighting fires etc. I don't have a friendly land owner to ask!!

Thanks

Chris

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Wear your uniform when you ask a farmer/woodland owner.
You my find it even easier in areas where yobs are causing local trouble.They'd consider you a policeman even if you weren't wearing your work kit and probably be greatful for the protection ;)

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/britain/access.html#Camping

In England and Wales you have no general right to camp and if you do so you may be trespassing, unless you use an official site or first obtain the landowner’s permission. In practice responsible “wild” camping may be tolerated in upland areas, particularly when you are a long way from alternative accommodation, though strictly speaking you are still trespassing and could be moved on. Some upland areas have particular sites where camping is informally tolerated. The best approach is to enquire locally or contact information sources such as national park authorities in advance.

last summer i camped up on chanctonbury ring, in the south downs - as i was cycling along the south downs way and it was a good stop off - i didnt light a fire tho, and only spent one night there.

W

WERDNA

same here, im new to all this and i also dont know wear to go were i wont be bothered by the public, i have met up with a couple of very nice people on here who have taken me to places, but people arnt always free on the weekend, and i am eager to get out every weekend and try somthing, especialy now i have got all my kit , maybe i will try a remote part of a public wood, i hope you find some wear

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
There is a right to resposible access anywhere in Scotland. This ofcourse doesn't cover gardens etc. You must be carefull where ever you are not to antaganise landowners, cause damage to crops or disturb animals. Responible access is about showing respect for others, then hopefully they'll return the sentiment.

Where ever you go I'd stay off the beaten track. Always more relaxing

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I was looking for somewhere around Coventry and discovered a scout campsite, so that might be a good bet for you too? Well worth asking the scouts, anyway. They were very accomodating to me, and it's remarkably close to where I live. :D

Feb 8, 2006
Beds and Herts!
Hi guys, First post!, So here goes...

I’m not sure about Scotland, but I went camping and walking with my housemates last week in the lakes, we camped in the Langdale Pikes – Harrison Stickle and in the woods alongside Coniston in the National Park, We checked with the Ranger first and they are appear to be fine with you camping in the national park as-long as you don’t make a mess/leave it as you found it, which kinda goes unsaid. For me at least its closer than Scotland and I think as nice as. We lit a small fire in the woods by Coniston, just for practice, etc.

tigermoth2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE