Where to go walkabout?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chassybold

Dec 30, 2010
United Kingdom
Hey Guys,

Wondered if anyone could suggest some amazing paces and reasons to go backpacking this summer with my girlfriend?
Any photos if you have the time would also be more than appreciated :)
I was thinking maybe somewhere in Scotland or Wales, distance to travel isn't really a concern of mine :)
Thanks for your time,

Charlie.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
The highlands in Scotland. The Lake district is beutiful, so is Devon. The New forrest has some unbelievable wildlife. The Cotswolds is pretty, or my favourite Betsy Coed, in North Wales and the surrounding areas. We do live in a lovely place. I can't decide between them. I would go Scotland, but that's me. Hope you have a great time.
Ammo.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'd agree with Sandbender. The GR10 starts (or ends) not far from my place in France. You can fly Ryannair to Perpignan then get on a local bus to anywhere in Pyrenees-Oriental for one euro. Thus you can go to Banyuls and walk along the Pyrenees all the way to the Atlantic if you have time. If not, you can follow footpaths through wild country on a circular route within the department knowing that from any bus stop you can get back to your starting point for a euro. Wild camping is generally tolerated if just overnight, unless fire regulations are in force. The French authorities actively encourage walking and camping. And we have the most sunshine of any department in France.

I love England, but the problems of wild camping spoil it for me. If staying in England, I'd try Dartmoor: they seem more backpacker friendly than most. I love Scotland and the Scots too, but not midges or persistent rain!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...That's really interesting mate, I'd never heard of Grande Randonee before, any particular routes/sections that you'd recommend?.."

Hard to choose really there are so many, better to surf the internet for pictures of the various French regions, find places that look like you'd want to be there and then search for routes in that area. However...

A nice meandering trail through undemanding (but pretty) countryside with perhaps the odd opportunity for stealth camping or various types of accommodation along the way and the chance to meet other walkers from elsewhere in the world, try a section of the GR65, perhaps walking from Mossiac to the Spanish border, that will take you through the French Basque Country which is one of the most beautiful bits of France there is (IMHO), the folks are exceptionally hospitable and the food fantastic.

A slightly more challenging route that'll take you anything up to two weeks would be the GR70 which follows the route taken by Robert Louis Stevenson when he walked across the Cevennes, s'étonner of this parish posted a trip report of his walk here. Again the folks are very hospitable, the food very good, some opportunities for wild camping, a couple of long hikes, nothing that will kill a reasonably fit human being.

Hard core, you know the score, try the GR 20 just over a hundred miles across Corsica, not an easy one but fantastic scenery, fantastic people, fantastic food. You cannot wild camp except near the mountain huts, you cannot have open fires, you need to be fit, you need to know how to walk without support for several days at a time if needed, you shouldn't think about attempting this in the middle of summer (or middle of winter) because you will die. :)

Lots more to choose from.

"...The GR10 starts (or ends) not far from my place in France.."

I wish I'd known I'd have offered to drop off some English/Scottish foodstuffs if you wanted (presuming you live at the western side). :)

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The Queyras area, last big alps before Nice, has days of walking with the odd high hut for food restocks. Be aware moat GRs need you to drop down to a valley for food then back up a 1000m or more climb. Lighter way is to plan carefully by buying meals at huts high up or in very high villages or cafes eg like the HRP.

I have day - or two to three day - walked lots of GRs eg TMB and HRP. The Pyrenees from Andorra east is much less thundery and drier than the Alps. May problem in these high areas when walking is afternoon Thunder storms (preturbence, orage or rafales). Often we are Mountain viking and the cable cars stop at 3-4 pm when thunder rolls on. Via-ferratas should be done am for this reason.

Also, the french IGN maps are free online and have campsites and all GR paths are waymarked with posts or splashs of paint on rocks or trees. Often PRs (petite randonees) are marked too, yellow.

Scotland. Train to Mallaig then ferry to Knoydart. No roads for 3-4 days.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE