Where to get vacuum packed survival blankets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
For years I’ve been carrying a single use vacuum packed Mylar survival blanket in my large first aid kit. It was a useful size, 2.1 x 1.6 metre unfolded and only 4mm thick in the pack. This Thursday I had need of it at a road traffic accident. I thought I would be able to replace it with ease. I should know better; I’ve found plenty available without vacuum packing with a folded thickness of 10 to 15 mm – thing is my large FAK is already bulging and I would prefer not to add unnecessary bulk.

So, does anyone know of a supplier of the vacuum packed variety of survival blankets?

Many thanks.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You could get someone to vacuum pack it for you. I'd do it but everything is boxed up at the moment for our impending move...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Get a bigger bag for your FAK would be a good option perhaps. I can't see it making any difference in the real world if its vacuum packed or not, they ain't exactly bulky to start with.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Get a bigger bag for your FAK would be a good option perhaps. I can't see it making any difference in the real world if its vacuum packed or not, they ain't exactly bulky to start with.

They've also been proven to be pretty darn useless.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They've also been proven to be pretty darn useless.

They do hold some heat, especially if use as a heat reflector in front of a fire. When I was a scout we actually practiced (successfully) using them for stretchers (albeit with other scouts under 15 years old) I also like the idea of having roughly 33 square feet of highly reflective (even radar reflective) material with dual colored sides (one side silver and the other blaze orange) when I want to let search craft know where I am.

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Lifeventure make them: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Venture-Mountain-Thermal-Blanket/dp/B001029CX8

I also have some issues with these blankets: I went to a callout in Glencoe a few years ago and a chap had got benighted after being caught in a typical Scottish winter storm. Speaking to him afterwards he told us he had one of these blankets as emergency kit but within about a minute of him unfolding it the gale force winds completely shredded it.
Fortunately he had enough sense and kit to dig a rudimentary snow hole and survived the night. I think the branding can lead to folk having a false sense of security when the product is clearly not suitable for it's suggested use. A blanket is also no match for a bag as any warmed air is lost through convection.

The only decent bit of kit for this application is a Blizzard Bag:http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard-survival-bag These are fairly robust and trap warm air between the foil layers. A lot of MR guys carry them as PPE and their also used by UK forces for treating patients with shock after battlefield trauma.

I think giving roadside First Aid is commendable and a viable use of these blankets however.

Last edited:

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
It might be a bit expensive but have you tried one of those small water/air tight pouches for mobile phones.
Pack the blanket into it, squash down and then seal the pouch.
Also, if you're on good terms with your local butcher ask him to vacuum pack it for you.
Mine did a load of sterile dressings for me once as an experiment and it worked a treat, good seal, sturdy food grade plastic and minimal bulk.
Happy trails...torc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE