Where to get leather?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobrien1

Nov 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster!
I've always had an interest in bushcraft since I was young, watching the old Ray Mears programs and reading on forums like this :)
I made a knife from one of the kits that you can get, thought it would be a nice place to start. Anyway, I made the knife a while ago but didn't get around to making a sheath and I seem to have misplaced the leather that came with the kit!

Does anyone know where I could get small quantities of leather? I can only seem to find places that do them in huge sheets of the stuff! I only want enough to make a sheath with lol

Tom.

tobrien1

Nov 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Ah sorry lol, I did a search but couldnt find much, only places like leprevo that do it in larger quantities. I'll have a look through the older posts :)

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Hi Tobrien1,

Go on the (flea)bay and look for "the whiskered bat" he sells leather in all dimesions at a resonable cost.

He does some 12"x12"sqr bits of leather, ideal for sheaths.

ATB and show us the results.

Last edited:

tobrien1

Nov 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I just came across that seller on the bay actually, looks reasonably priced :)
I'll post up some pictures when I get hold of some and give it a go.
Heres a couple of quick pics of the knife. It's not perfect but not bad for a first attempt considering I've never really done any woodworking before :)

84a32991.jpg

e85ce008.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Glad you've found a supplier of new leather. For other projects needing only small amouts you might be able to salvage leather from old boots or coats from car-boot or rumagge sales.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The knifes not bad for a first attempt but I would suggest sabding the antler so that its at least flush with the bolster.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE