Where to get BiB bags?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hi there all,

Thought I'd ask here as I've looked around on the net and can't seem to find an answer. Basically I'm looking for Boil in the Bag type of bags. The idea is for my dehydrated food goes into them, rehydrate then reheat. Sounds ideal for camping and mucking about outside. Trouble is I can't find an outlet that sells them. The only possible source of something that *may* be close are vac pack bags, which the manufacturer claims can be used as boil in the bag.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Nagual

Not always go for the quick and easy cooking but when I do,

I do "FBC"(Freezer Bag Cooking), I usually have my meal inside a zip lock freezer bag.
Then I heat/boil my water, if short trip, in my DIY Beer Billy can (fire, hexamine, greenheat)
The freezer bag whit food is stood inside a "cozy" (DIY)
Poor the hot water in the bag, let it cook/simmer on
After three minutes; Bob is the well know family relative.....

So, imvho, just use zip lock freezer bags and heat the water first, then rehydrate...

If not what you had in mind at all, sorry for the misinterpretation.....

Grtz Johan

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Depends how far you want to take it - zip-locs are great and most supermarkets sell them as freezer bags. At the other end of the (realistic home) scale you have something like this ...

http://www.jmldirect.com/Food-Sealer-PF1017/

The bags are usually Polypropylene which will stand up to boiling no problem.

Edit: Woolworths sell JML stuff IIRC

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
The lakeland ones rock I wouldn't use anything other than bags intended for the use of. Not sure how good some of these plastics would be.Also the 50 Lakeland bags are as cheap as chips.
Dave
If you really cant get to a Lakeland I will send you some at cost

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hi there all,

Thought I'd ask here as I've looked around on the net and can't seem to find an answer. Basically I'm looking for Boil in the Bag type of bags. The idea is for my dehydrated food goes into them, rehydrate then reheat. Sounds ideal for camping and mucking about outside. Trouble is I can't find an outlet that sells them. The only possible source of something that *may* be close are vac pack bags, which the manufacturer claims can be used as boil in the bag.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Nagual

OT slightly, but you could buy MRE heaters and use them instead of a cooker.

Nick

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Thanks everyone for your replies! The Lakeland bags certainly are the cheapest I've seen and going by the description are right for the job.

Nick, I had a look at MRE after reading your suggestion however they seem to very expensive for what they do. Just use once and then their kapput? Regardless I'd still need to put my homemade meal into for them too.. lol Cheers for the thought though, perhaps in the future I'll need/get one.

Cheers, Nagual.

K

kedwould

agree with born2roam i just cook some food wack it in a freezer bag and put it in the fridge then reheat, i've had no trouble yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE