Where to get Bamboo?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
I'm after some bamboo that's at least 6 feet long and 2 inch wide, also I don't want to pay the earth for it. I've tried the usual places like B&Q, garden centres ect and drew a blank.

Thanks Mart.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Fastest growing plant in the world, spreads like mad, and yet it costs a fortune for a few cut bits. Can anyone rent me a bit of land and suggest a hardy variety? Oh and lend me some start up money ;)

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Bow backs it is :) It seems they have the size I want for about a fiver but you have to order 5 of them. Still not too bad as a last resort.

Minstrel

Forager
Feb 9, 2009
Hartlepool
Mart,

we had 180 heavy standard trees delivered from a local nursery - they came with a huge bamboo cane. It might be worth getting in touch with a nursery and asking the question there.

atb

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
I have some, give me a shout if you cant get any. I'm just north of you if you fancy a drive, not sure how much postage would cost but I can let you have a bit for free if you pay postage. Mine all came from 7 to 8 " poles, nodes quite widely spaced. I split the poles down myself so you would need to thin them down with a draw knife and belt sander to get them nice and thin. Alternately make a take down, that way you don't have the hassel with postage.

Bamboo and ipe take down ready for tillering-

IMG_0469.jpg

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Minstrel none of the local garden centres have any at the mo :(

Yarrow, Very nice take down bow btw Where did you get the centre for it I've seen those on american sites and they look really nifty. I'm Googleing Glenkens now :)

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Yarrow, Very nice take down bow btw Where did you get the centre for it I've seen those on american sites and they look really nifty. I'm Googleing Glenkens now :)

The Ipe - Suriname Greenheart, is a bit of decking. I make a point of going in every timber yard I can and trawling the internet for decking suppliers etc. The bit for this particular bow came from a DIY shop in Holland, but I have found really good planks here in the UK as well. The take down sleeve comes from Flybow an archery supplier in Ireland. It has the same stuff as three rivers archery in the US but you don't get so stung for import duty, if you do get one go for the small unless you are making a warbow, the large is well chunky.

If you want to pop up just give me a shout. I have 20 or so different bows at the moment and plenty of space to shoot them.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I've got loads of the bloody stuff growing in the garden & I'd gladly send you all you wanted, any thickness or length for free, but the postage would be astronimical..:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE