Where to get axe heads only

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Oh...and here is another version of what is called a 'pig sticker' (extreme right)
The blade is about 10inches, clip point.
The indigenous people use this for hunting as well and it doubles as both a small parang and what a friend refers to as 'Mercy blade'.

P1170053.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It seems that making that eye is the hardest part and he does not have the right tools to make it.

Erm...he's a blacksmith aint he? Can he not make a suitable punch? If he can weld, cant he fold a piece of steel over a bar and forge weld the 2 halves together? Wont have much poll but its an axe.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Unfortunately, the smith that makes the spear can make parangs, chop, adze heads and almost all other metal tools except an axe head with an eye.
It seems that making that eye is the hardest part and he does not have the right tools to make it.

If he is a smith then he can make the tools to do the job, I had to before I could make an axe! If the eye is punched through the he needs a chisel or a flat ended punch (personal preference) and then a drift (tapered bar the shape of the eye) to drive through and make the eye. The other and less arduous way is to wrap a flat strip of metal around and forgeweld all but a small portion at the bend, this can be shaped with a bar (in place of the drift). Easy enough for a smith I would think ;)

The only other place I've come across that I could buy new axe heads from was a Chinese tool making company (Pangu Tools) who make (amongst others) the hatchets that were on sale at Argos a few years back: good quality axes, just lacking in bushcrafter's favoured level of finish. They told me that they sell 600g heads for USD $1.30 each, plus shipping. The downside is that the minimum UK order was 2 tonnes!

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
do the two knives on the right have socket (hollow) handles?
the one on the far right looks like the inspiration for the cold steel bushman (or is it bushmaster?)

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Thanks for all the info guys.
Yes, working with the bladesmith to make an axe is definitely on my to do list now. Naturally, they are scared to try something they are not familiar with.

SCM..yes, the two knives on the right are both hollow handles. When I told the bladesmith that I have an indigenous friend looking for a tools like this, he refered it to his dad (who is the first generation bladesmith) and immediately he knew what design he needed to make. In a couple of hours, that is what he came up with and when I first saw it, I too was surprised with the similarity.

belabear

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Austria
Bandel 4 get the book Swedish Blacksmithing - Lars Enander, Karl-Gunnar Norén ISBN 978-9197563482, all the information someone needs to make an axe, all the drawings and pictures that are necessary. Been at Gränsfors and have made an axe following these instuctions (my teacher has been the pupil of Lars)
Cheers Belabear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE