Where to get axe heads only

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Can anyone tell me where I can order axe head only (without the handle)
I have a small project and may need a few.
Would very much prefer not to buy a completely good axe and remove the handle.

Mr Moderator...please remove my post if this is not the right place for it.

Thanks

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
I've seen lots and lots of axe heads for sale at the various monthly markets here in the algarve

the markets are sort of fairs, where you can rent some space and set up a stall, each market is different-not only from place to place, but also from month to month

do you have anything like that where you live?

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi guys...

Santaman...yeah..I have looked on ebay. Most are used and I would like to try getting new ones before I consider those.
BR...haha...we have boot sales here but seldom for axe heads. I have seens lots of parangs, spears etc but axe heads are rare. Been scouring the flea markets for the past few weeks with no luck.

Dave...may send you a PM :)

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
spears? What sort of spears? can we have some piccies please?:D

Oh...I must have hit some interest there :)

This is made by local blade smith for indigenous people for hunting. It is a tricky thing to own for the rest of us cause the Malaysian law technically does not allow double edge blades. Below is the only pic I have. Taken with my phone some time back.

IMG00503-20120601-1602.jpg

Obviously...the hunters will install a piece of long wood into the rounded tang for stabbing the hunt. Which more often than not are wild boars.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Interesting. I'm curious though, is there no crossbar to keep the boar from charging up the spear shaft? How is it affixed to the shaft so that it doesn't come of when withdrawing it?

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Suppose you could drill through the ferrule and place a longish bar as a rivet. That would solve both questions.
Cant you get the guy that made the spear to make you some axe heads ? He obviously has the required skills.

Interesting. I'm curious though, is there no crossbar to keep the boar from charging up the spear shaft? How is it affixed to the shaft so that it doesn't come of when withdrawing it?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Suppose you could drill through the ferrule and place a longish bar as a rivet. That would solve both questions.
Cant you get the guy that made the spear to make you some axe heads ? He obviously has the required skills.

Yes obviously you could mod it but I was asking if they hunt boar with it as is?

Plus 1 on getting the spear maker to make an axe head.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com

I asked a few indigenous friends I know and I got different replies honestly.
But from what I understand, they use it with either a long piece of stick or close range. Boar they hunt normally is caught in some sort of trap and they use the spear the kill it, stabbing it underneath the front legs, something the the boar's armpit I suppose.

Using a long stick, I was told there is a technique they use with a rope to attach the thing together. Never seen it, but will try to find out.

Unfortunately, the smith that makes the spear can make parangs, chop, adze heads and almost all other metal tools except an axe head with an eye.
It seems that making that eye is the hardest part and he does not have the right tools to make it.
He makes axes but most are just strongly welded to a metal handle. Used mostly in the palm oil plantation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE