Where to find flint?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I worry that I am about to bring a whole world of mockery down on my head here but, I'm gonna bite the bullet and go for it ....

I am in Monmouthshire (Work in Newport - live nearer Chepstow) and I am wondering where the nearest place might be for me to be able to pick up flint?

I'm after some to go with my steels.

I have a feeling that even THIS Englishman in Wales knows there is a place called FLINTSHIRE and I'm guessing its called that for a reason! :)

Any advice at all?

All the best
Dave

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'll be in your neck of the woods in a few weeks time Dave.

I have a spare nodule that you are welcome to if you wish.....

Let me know and I can arrange either a delivery, pick-up or whatever!

ATB

Ogri the trog

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Thanks for all the advice chaps :)

My daughter is down at Swansea Uni so I might just venture further west into Wales and have a look at Burry Port beach.

I had a suspicion that Flintshire would be bereft of flint, wonder if that means they all get chilly in Cardiganshire ;)

I would buy some but, I am an exile in Wales and originate in the east of England where I could go into the garden and get me some decent flint!

Burry Port it might have to be, or a trip back "home"

All the best
Dave

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Ahhhhhhh - I have noticed the dread of using that Anglo-Saxon word "shire" around these parts :)

Pretty raw and wet here in Monmouthigion too ;-) LOL

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Kent's pretty good for flint... most places you find chalk are good. From memory there are grades of flint which suit different purposes better - some are more 'knappable' while others make better sparks. I daresay an adult will be along shortly to correct that if it's wrong ;)

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Thanks ever so for the offers of posting and drop off - you guys are great :)

Now I work in Newport on the docks (NO! not like that sailor!) and today at lunchtime, I went for a walk to stretch the legs and clear the thoughts a tad.

The docks here are old and to prevent people parking near the old wooden platforms, they have blocked access with what looks like piles of, well I dunno, backfill. Lots of bits of brick and rocks and stones and .... yep you guessed it ... flint!

OK, not a lot and probably not the best but just about enough for me for now.

Now who'da thought it? :)

All the best
Dave

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
sorry to dig this up if you have sorted it?

flint forms in sedimentary rock - usually chalk but some times limestone too. - unfortunately you are no where near the chalky parts of the country - Norfolk particularly.

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/jpg/ukmap8.jpg

we get a fair bit of flint in Dorset too.

if not then just buy some in.

andy

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
If you can't find flint get yourself some quartz it's not as good but will do the job if needed and is much easier to find...check out river beds and mountainous regions!

You can check out my youtube account if you want to see a video of it if it's any use for you!

red dreads

Nov 14, 2009
Eilean a Cheo
Hi DF

You may want to try beaches close to ports ,especially on the south and east coasts as flint was used as ballast and dumped to take on fresh cargos ..... just a thought as a mate of mine in Middlesborough travels to the coast to get his and mine(no flint up here on the island either:()

best regds S

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
even in areas where its not there naturally you can aquire it all be it in small lumps but for firelighting its ok but not for napping. Take a good look on peoples drives the larger pebbly brown gravel often has lumps of flint in it encased in chalk. Typically shingle from down south

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
If you can't find flint get yourself some quartz it's not as good but will do the job if needed and is much easier to find...check out river beds and mountainous regions!

You can check out my youtube account if you want to see a video of it if it's any use for you!

would than include vein quartz?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE