Where to camp in Scotland.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
hey guys, me and a few freinds are plannin to go camping end of march early april, Im not sure of a good place to camp, looking to walk a few miles into woodland then find a good campsite, but what areas are good to head for ?

also how do i go about getting permission to light a fire ?

thanks guys

I don't know what your experience/age is but I see you are from Glasgow and I'm taken aback at you asking this question when you are surrounded by the finest countryside in the world only half an hour from the centre of town.

If you don't know the answer, ask yourself why not? Go and have a look at the countryside code and go forth, tread softly and leave no trace and no one will ever know you have been there...

Explore that man go forth and explore...

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
hey, i know there are lots of great country side near me, im 19 and have only been camping once last year, with 2 very underexperianced people who said they knew it all, i was just wondering about places where othe people have went that were good sites.

mainly wondered about fire permission

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
If you can travel a bit i would strongly suggest loch lomond. In the summer i camped right on the waters edge in my own secluded part. Fires were ok and it was brilliant to wake up to the mountains and the mist on the water. Absolutely stunning. I didn't want to leave. Could be a bit chilly tho.

Keep us posted to what you will be doing.

Jay

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
David.s said:
hey, i know there are lots of great country side near me, im 19 and have only been camping once last year, with 2 very underexperianced people who said they knew it all, i was just wondering about places where othe people have went that were good sites.

mainly wondered about fire permission

No worries David, I suspect w00dsmoke was just pulling yer leg :) .

Take a look at the this PDF Pamphlet produced by the SNH:- Scottish Outdoor Access Code

Should answer any questions you have about access right and lighting of fires. You can also look at their website:- www.outdooraccess-scotland.com The relevant section is on page 49 and says:-

Wherever possible, use a stove rather than light an open fire. If you do wish to light an open fire, keep it small, under control and supervised – fires that get out of control can cause major damage, for which you might be liable. Never light an open fire during prolonged dry periods or in areas such as forests, woods, farmland, or on peaty ground or near to buildings or in cultural heritage sites where damage can be easily caused. Heed all advice at times of high risk. Remove all traces of an open fire before you leave.

As for where to go, as w00dsmoke says, you can pretty much head in any direction and find somewhere suitable. Depends on your means of transport I suspose.

Why don't you think of doing a buushcraft course before hand? As far as I recall Backwoods Survival are based in Glasgow. Go on one of their weekend courses (£130) gain as much knowledge from them as you can and it would stand you in good stead for your future trip. You could also ask them for good places to visit?

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
you guys are just an encyclopedia of knowlegde, thanks.

i had a look at the outdoor access code about fires, i just wasnt sure if that was the "law" or that was the guide once you have gained persmission to light a fire in the first place. i was considering going on a course, but unfortunatly funds are a little low at the moment lol. i was in the BB for year (left a few year ago though) and one of our officers was in the raf and he was pretty good at teaching us about fire, cooking location to camp etc and i still remember quite a bit,probably go on a course in the near future.

we are thinking about going to loch lomond, i stopped at balmaha when i done the west highland way a couple of years ago, and remember there was quite a few places to camp.

thanks guys.

David,

pm me and I'll give you a good place to go. Just tell me how long you are going for and what transport you intend to use to get there...

I fisrt went camping in the pram so I guess I was spoiled. The first time I went on my own I was 14.

Listen man, what you need to do is catch up with some local folk who will take you out or have a organise a meet up sometime where you will learn how to do do it.

Don't worry about fires... do it sensibly. Use a fire box or dig a hole and replace the turf. Respect live and dead vegetation...take your own fuel if you can.

Loch Lomond is surrounded in the spoils of summer ned camping. In places it's shores are stripped of all vegetation worth burning, littered with old tents, junk sleeping bags etc...I'd suggest somewhere else ;) Don't be scared just do it and don't do it through the winter or ends of autumn/spring until you have that wee bit more experience. :D

Reactions: Toddy

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
David.s said:
you guys are just an encyclopedia of knowlegde, thanks.

i had a look at the outdoor access code about fires, i just wasnt sure if that was the "law" or that was the guide once you have gained persmission to light a fire in the first place. i was considering going on a course, but unfortunatly funds are a little low at the moment lol. i was in the BB for year (left a few year ago though) and one of our officers was in the raf and he was pretty good at teaching us about fire, cooking location to camp etc and i still remember quite a bit,probably go on a course in the near future.

we are thinking about going to loch lomond, i stopped at balmaha when i done the west highland way a couple of years ago, and remember there was quite a few places to camp.

thanks guys.

Let us know where you end up going David. Loch lomond is a good choice if it is easy to get to for you.Fires are ok and could be a great place to start testing your skills. I can't say i have experienced lock lomond since the summer w00dsmoke and i hope what you are saying about it is not as bad as it sounds in writing :eek: .

Cheers
Jay

:nono:
Bushcraft4life said:
I can't say i have experienced lock lomond since the summer w00dsmoke and i hope what you are saying about it is not as bad as it sounds in writing :eek: .

Cheers
Jay

My good lady and I spent a lot of time walking my dog up and around Loch Lomond and canoeing around it's islands at least once or twice a month. I'm 20 minutes away from it.
To be fair not all of Loch Lomond is a disaster, but after last summer anytime we walked our dog up the East shore we would gather at least 5 black bags of rubbish including tents and sleeping bags to be collected by the park service. These areas are littered in broken glass and not safe for my dog. Even the most popular islands have this detritus on them at the end of the regatta season.

You need to travel quite far to get away from all of that.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
w00dsmoke said:
:nono:

My good lady and I spent a lot of time walking my dog up and around Loch Lomond and canoeing around it's islands at least once or twice a month. I'm 20 minutes away from it.
To be fair not all of Loch Lomond is a disaster, but after last summer anytime we walked our dog up the East shore we would gather at least 5 black bags of rubbish including tents and sleeping bags to be collected by the park service. These areas are littered in broken glass and not safe for my dog. Even the most popular islands have this detritus on them at the end of the regatta season.

You need to travel quite far to get away from all of that.

Now you mention it the first night i spent there was horrendous. Yobs on quad bikes riding around ruining the beach and partying until 4 in the morning. Luckily for THEM i have a GSD and they didn't come anywhere near us.

I didn't realise you were still feeling the affects of the summer its a shame people don't take enough care.

Cheers
Jay

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Saw some pics on here a while ago of folks wild camping on an island on Loch Lomond and really want to get hold of a caneo and try something similar.

A bit further afield but I can imagine Loch Affric towards end April/early May (to aviod the Midges if possible!) would be pretty spectacular. I walked around it once and seem to remember a few good places to camp- local knowlege would be appreciated as I might head there myself! All welcome!

kp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE