where to buy meths on line

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hey guys,

Just got my first honey stove and meths burner. I am looking for a good place to buy meths on line, does any one have a link to a seller of the burny stuff?

Col

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thanks Rich, top stuff, how long does the meths burn for if one was to top up the trangia burner and let it burn?. ive never used meths before and wondered how it performed compared to something like greenheat with the crusader.

Colin

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
thanks guys, that helps a lot, in his podcast the dude from backpacklight timed his crusader cup boiling at about 8 and half minutes in windy conditions for a brew, so if you reckon 50ml gives 15 minutes then its about 25ml per brew....

Would everyone agree on this amount, just so i know how much meths to take on my first few trips, obviously after a while i will be able to suss this out myself with experience.

By the way my burner is a brass trangia meths burner, i havent even looked to see how much this stores....

Any other sources of meths on line, the more the merrier as they say....

once again thanks guys for your help

P.S Which is the better burner the brass trangia or the stainless stell tantonka burner (which is heaviest and which burns hottest and longest?)

Colin

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Colin,

If you search the forum you will find a fair amount about trangia vs tatonka.

In particular there was a detailed review comparing several meths burners, some time ago.

As I remember, the Trangia burned hotter than the Tatonka, but the extra capacity of the Tatonka, meant that in poor conditions the Trangia ran out of fuel before boiling the test amount of water. The Tatonka took longer (more fuel available), but eventually boiled, without running out of fuel.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
cheers mate, looks like i will just have to get a bigger honey stove so that i can use both burners at once, now thats a dream!!!!

Col

For what its worth I would probably go for a Whitebox and a Tatonka.

Whitebox weighs next to nothing and burns furiously for boilng water. Tatonka with simmer ring and longer burn time for cooking.

I have a Whitebox, but Tatonka opinion is based on what I have read.

Graham

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
the whitebox you are talking about is that the whitebox stove on backpacklight or can you buy a whitebox burner on its own for cheaper, if so do you have a source

Col

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
the whitebox you are talking about is that the whitebox stove on backpacklight or can you buy a whitebox burner on its own for cheaper, if so do you have a source

Col

That's the one, hadn't realised how expensive they were now. I'm not aware of any other obvious source for them.

Graham

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you use the simmer ring on the Trangia burner you should get about 50 mins of simmer time from full.

I'm now using methanol instead of meths, £18 for 25 litres.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thanks Richard, alternatives are always useful, what difference do you find between the two fuels in regards to heat and time to burn fuel. And if your fuel is better do you have a link to your supplier...

Thanks Colin

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I have the following meth's burners,

Tatonka ss (my opinion best of the trangia lookalikes)
civi trangia (second to the tatonka)
swedish issue one (holds alot of fuel but is very slow)

whitebox(burns fuel fast but also cooks fast)
vango decagon ti (very light, good flame, but small fuel capacity)

so my personnel top two from above would be white box and tatonka(i carry these two together in a pouch when out use the white box for a fast brew,and tatonka for cooking food )

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thanks Andy,

Which size whitebox do you use, i notice there is 2, a solo and a duo?

Is it only backpacklight that sell the whitebox or is there other suppliers that do the whitebox and tantonka burners....

Col

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Thanks Andy,

Which size whitebox do you use, i notice there is 2, a solo and a duo?

Is it only backpacklight that sell the whitebox or is there other suppliers that do the whitebox and tantonka burners....

Col

My Whitebox is the older model which only came in one size (which matches the duo).

The difference in weight is minimal and I have found that in cold/windy conditions, larger amounts of water, I find I need a full load of meths.

You can always put less in the bigger one, but obviously not the other way round.

When I buy my Tatonka burner I will buy from Lurch on this forum (Lakeland Bushcraft).

And you already know that I can't help with alternative suppliers to Backpacking light for the White Box.

Graham

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
looks like lurch is out of stock with the tatonka burners, so will get elsewhere in the meantime, also looks as if backpackinglight are the sole uk sellers of the whitebox stove....

Colin

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)

Col
Regarding the White Box stove, the burner is the stove, just rest the pot on top.

I have a spare one I can let you have for free, if you'd like one, it's got a few scratches, but still works 100%. PM me your address, if you'd like it.

I now use titanium pots, and Tatonka burners with Tatonka stands.

For Meths, I got my last lot from here: http://www.jpennyltd.co.uk/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=348

The comany's in Southampton, and the meths is 'cheaper' the more you buy, as it is a courier delivery (Royal Mail won't handle the stuff).

I think I bought 15 litres..... takes a while to use that much, but even after the delivery charge, it's much cheaper per litre than hardware shops.

I found J Penny's after trawling the internet, most places either won't deal with the public, or won't deliver for reasonable cost, they're worth a look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE