where to buy meths on line

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I have the following meth's burners,

Tatonka ss (my opinion best of the trangia lookalikes)
civi trangia (second to the tatonka)
swedish issue one (holds alot of fuel but is very slow)

whitebox(burns fuel fast but also cooks fast)
vango decagon ti (very light, good flame, but small fuel capacity)

so my personnel top two from above would be white box and tatonka(i carry these two together in a pouch when out use the white box for a fast brew,and tatonka for cooking food )

I agree with all of the above....

I use the SS Tatonka burners with my Titanium pots, and with my stainless Swedish Army Trangia.

I had a Vargo Decagon, but it just doesn't burn long enough on a fuelling to boil more than 0.5 litre at a time.

I now have a stacking set of Snow peak 1400 pot, containing a Tibetan pot, and 2 x Tatonka burners with stands, so have 2 pots available with burners, if required.

The decagon is a nice idea, but only for a small brew stove.

kirbs

Need to contact Admin...
Just to confuse things further if you go into e-bay and type in "Cobalt Stove" it should bring up something very similar to the whitebox but a bit cheaper. There should still be a link on there with a comparison between that and the Whitebox.Basically the Cobalt stove blooms quicker due to a lining inside the stove that draws the fuel up through it . My Cobalt stove brought 400ml of water to the boil in about 5 minutes then ran for another 4 minutes on 50 ml of fuel.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
If you use the simmer ring on the Trangia burner you should get about 50 mins of simmer time from full.

I'm now using methanol instead of meths, £18 for 25 litres.

Hi Rik,

Where are you getting your methanol from?

Just to get back to the original question, I bought 5l this week for £14 from a local (pro) decorating suppliers (ACE Decor (Preston, Chorley...) - for anyone in N Lancs). I've found it on the net, but usually delivery tips it well over this price.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Thanks Nige, what a gent, pm inbound...

Good link too, a bit cheaper than Rich has found earlier, im sure he will be using it now....

Colin

Parcel was posted this afternoon.

As well as the stove and windshield, I've included a couple of 100 ml lab bottles (new, unused), for either meths or coffee granules.

Enjoy, spread the community spirit !

Nige.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Nige, Its official you are a star man!!!!!!!!

Big package came this morning, with not only a white box stove nicely bubble rapped and in a plastic storage container, but also 2 nalgene type bottles for meths storage and a cracking metal hinged system wind shield.

What can i say big man, above and beyond the call of duty, my faith in mankind is restored, im off now to help a nun cross the road and rescue a cat from a tree, pull a baby from a burning building etc etc....

I hope your parcel was in good will and that one day you wont ask me to repay a favour although that day may never come and that i have to get down on one knee, kiss your had and call you godfather!!!!!!

But in all seriousness, that was a really nice gesture to go out of your way for me, i do appreciate it Nige...

May your family be blessed with riches and good health my friend!

All the best Colin

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Nige, Its official you are a star man!!!!!!!!

Big package came this morning, with not only a white box stove nicely bubble rapped and in a plastic storage container, but also 2 nalgene type bottles for meths storage and a cracking metal hinged system wind shield.

What can i say big man, above and beyond the call of duty, my faith in mankind is restored, im off now to help a nun cross the road and rescue a cat from a tree, pull a baby from a burning building etc etc....

I hope your parcel was in good will and that one day you wont ask me to repay a favour although that day may never come and that i have to get down on one knee, kiss your had and call you godfather!!!!!!

But in all seriousness, that was a really nice gesture to go out of your way for me, i do appreciate it Nige...

May your family be blessed with riches and good health my friend!

All the best Colin

Glad to be able to help...... I have another white box stove, in my car 'grab bag', but since buying them, I've sort of changed my requirements for a regular use stove, but they are certainly a good choice for a simple wilderness brew stove, or for heating boil in bag food.

I could have sold it on ebay, but as with some other stuff I have given away via this forum, it always feels good to be able to read a post with a query or a problem, and to be able to think "I could fix this right now".

As the forums are called "BushcraftUK Community Forums", I just view it as helping a neighbour I have yet to meet, simple really.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE