Where to buy Greenheat sachets in East Lancs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just what it says on the tin. Yesterday I discovered that a box of Greenheat fuel degrades if you leave it in a cupboard for maybe 1p years. The 1oz packets had gone down to .3 or .4 of a oz and did not burn ax well as I remembered.

I've read these work better in stoves than Firedragon blocks.

I also tried some 15 to 2p year old hexi blocks and and some similar foil wrapped US issue ones, the former worked as good as ever, despite looking decidedly like old kendal mint cake but the latter burnedless well a d left a sticky brown residue.

Thanks!

Tom

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I remember these from about 10 years ago it burnt so cleanly that I often didn't see the flames around my mug and burnt myself. I understand that they're not produced any more. The closest alternative you would have is the firedragon gel, which you can pick up at go outdoors. Happy hunting though.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Fire dragon blocks are superb. I’ve never had a problem with them. Greenheart sachets I used to love and use all the time, but these Firedragon thingsfar out perform them And I’ve been using them for 7 years constantly now.

Sadly Greenheat are no longer made.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Shame the Green heat sachets are no more but its excellent to know that the Fire dragon blocks are better than I'd heard. Herself has a scout mistresses discount at Go Outdoors so I'll pick some up next time we go to Blackburn.

I have discovered i have 1 and 3/4 500ml bottles of Greenheat squirelled away and that doesn't seam to have degraded ar all. I'll have to decant some into smaller containers.

It would seam to be still available in South Africa where it was made, smallest size is .75 litre bottles, mind websites often out live the companies that set them up so who knows!

I'll use the degraded sachets contents as fire lighters.

Atb and thanks!

Tom

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Firedragon burns aggressively like four Greenheat sachets, I’ve never had to use more than one to do a brew or heat some food in my crusader. Two if it’s very windy. When I use a pocket stove or something similar, I put it in a Trangia burner cap. But it works just as well in a small scrape in the earth. You have to be careful when storing not to crush the container or pierce the foil though, as it dries out.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Got to go to BB anyway on Monday, i'll ask herself to detour while I'm having my eyes poked and get us some 12 packs of blocks from Go Outdoors, £3.42 with a normal discount card, not sure how much she gets off extra for the scout thing.

Atb

Tom

Herself has paid for 36 blocks to collect on Monday, lost out on the extra 5% off but didn't want to risk them selling out between now and then, fair enough.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE